B+ improvements?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
taber hodaka

B+ improvements?

Post by taber hodaka »

What changes did Hodaka make to the 100B to identify it as the Ace 100B+?? And what serial number did it start with?
Clarence
Dale

Re: B+ improvements?

Post by Dale »

Clarence, The B+ had the cushioned hub, high front fender and re-settable odometer. Those are the 3 things that I am aware of. I am not familiar with the frame numbers.
Dale
Dale
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Dale I believe the 100B had those items also I am only aware of one item of change on the B+ I did just look it up and the 100B started with frame number 51013 it did have the high fender, cushion hub and re-settable speedometer. I only know that the B+ had a different primary gear ratio that helped take the stress off of the transmission. But I am thinking there must have be more than one change. But there was probably pressure to identify a newer model. Thanks Dale always glad to see your input.
Clarence
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

My 100B had the low front fender, and non-cushioned hub. Can't say whether it had a reset odometer, but I doubt it. Frame prefix was the same as the 90's, Ace 100's, and B+. I think motor prefix were he same as well between these Ace models. Have to refer to the spec sheet for stock primary numbers. Far as I know, there were no high fender or cushioned hub 100B's, just the B+.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Clarence,
My first Hodaka was the 100 B+. At the shop where I bought it from, the Ace 100 B models had the low front fender and non-cush hubs. I "splurged" on the B+ model as it was so cool! My B+ also had a one piece rear sprocket rather than an overlay. It was a wheelie machine and I loved it!

It is very possible that some of the 100 B models where showing up with cush hubs and high fenders prior to the B+ designation. I have no idea, but I do know that the ones that I witnessed had these differences.
Dale
Dale
Dale

Post by Dale »

Clarence, Looking at the current chart, it shows that 51013 is the starting frame number of the B+ and not the B. ???
Dale
Dale
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

That is what the chart shows I just looked also. I was coming from many other directions from data recieved from PABATCO. That data shows the B+ starting with frame number 67613 this is from Hodaka. I will consolidate my info gathered from several source areas and send to Ed or whoever. And there are always overlapping questions. My B+ flyer just doesn't list much for change, so I was really interested in knowing the significant changes. This is not a gotcha, its to update my forgotten knowledge.
Clarence
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

The front forks are also different from the 100 B and the 100 B+. The B forks did not have a removable damper rod and they were not adjustable in the triple clamps (they also liked to bend). The B+ forks had the removable damper rod (holes in the bottom of the forks to get to the allen screw), they were adjustable (up or down) in the triple clamps, and didn't bend.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

The adjustability of the forks up or down is not a feature of the forks. It is dependent on the top clamp of the triple tree. Even those with the ridge which stops upward movement of the tubes can be modified in minutes, but unless setting up for trials or adjusting both front and rear ride height together, I wouldn't suggest changing the tube height. The Ace series is twitchy enough without making the rake angle steeper than it already is.
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

When I said they were adjustable or non-adjustable, I was referring to how they came from the factory. Yes, with the older forks, you can machine out the top triple clamp and you can move the forks up, but I wouldn't recommend it. The later forks were longer, so if you put on a little longer shock, you could adjust the forks to correct the ride height.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

The 100B and 100B+ used the same frame and swingarm, and as near as I could tell setting B for butter forks next to later style B+, the overall length as built is, if not the same, exceptionally close. Ride height is the same between models and shocks were the same. Wheels and tires were the same. If the B+ forks were much longer, it would affect ride height, rake, castor, and trail, all other dimensions remaining the same. So perhaps they are longer but it would have to be too little difference to mention. Do you know the difference in lengths?
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

FYI, the last Resonator newsletter had an article on forks (shameless self promotion :oops: ).

Brian
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Paul does a good job of explaining the B vs B+:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvzvoF_B0Rg

Brian
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Good article in the Resonator Brian, I've actually put it in the reference library. I should but don't remember all that. Good job! Thanks.

Max