axle help

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
tvrc18

axle help

Post by tvrc18 »

I am trying to fix a set of 30mmCerianis to one of my Hodaka's and having issues finding an axle to work. I did not use the Ceriani clamps but used a set from another Hodaka. The axle I thought would work I think is from a Yamaha but the sleeve that is slotted to clamp down on the axle is to big to fit the fork leg. The axle needs to be 12mm with a 15mm large end that needs to be a little longer than 1.5 inches to go thru the larger fork leg hole and probably 9 inches over all length. I was looking at a Combat axle on Ebay that may work but not sure of the lengths. What axle have any one used to make this work? I am fitting a spool wheel also by the way. The larger end of the axle I like it to go all the way thru the fork leg and rest against the wheel spacer to make a snug fit and no chance of squeezing the fork bottoms together if that makes sense.
Terry
hodakamax

Re: axle help

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Terry, the axle on my 94A Wombat is 12mm and the big end is 17mm with a overall length of about 8 3/4 inches. You might have to machine off 2mm of the big diameter. I'm still messing with the fork head part. The Ceriani stem increases in size where the Hodaka lower race should be. Off to the machine shop. I also didn't have enough threads on the top of the stem but I did find a 1mm x 25mm die on line. I haven't even gotten to the axle yet. Oh well, one step at a time. :roll:

Max

PS--It all looked easy at the beginning!
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Terry, here's a shot of 28mm Cerianis to spool if that helps. This takes 919235R 12mm rear axle 12mm both sides. It looks like we used 2-909232 rear wheel spacers and 909241 seals. The spool uses BB6201 bearings. I hope I got that all right. :?

Max

PS--this hub was drawn up by our wheel man in the day. It was turned out at a small local machine shop by a cool old guy who liked our projects and put up with us. Our wheel guy drilled and assembled the final product.
Attachments
DSCN1023.JPG
tvrc18

Post by tvrc18 »

Max what did you do about the larger fork side or were your forks 12mm on both sides. One of my legs has a 15mm hole and the small side is 12mm.
Terry
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Both sets of Cerianis that I have (28mm) are 12mm holes on both sides. Maybe you could have a collar manufactured that would be 12mm ID and 15mm OD and slot it for compression so you could use the common 12mm axle is my first thought or you might yet find one that fits or can be modified.

Max

PS--The Wombat (94A) front axle I mentioned earlier is 12mm diameter with the big end being 17mm which could be turned down. I measured the hole used for holding the axle from turning to be 10mm. There should be enough material to do that modification.
Attachments
DSCN1024.JPG
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Terry, did you ever find an axle for your Ceriani forks? After disassembling my set I discovered that I to have the same problem. The PO had used or at least put it together a 12mm axle without regard to a 15mm hole on one side. I now need one with the same requirements that you do. Maybe we can install a 15mm-12mm bushing and saw it in position so that it will cinch down. Probably the best way is to turn down a model 94 front axle which I don't have.

Thanks,

Max
Attachments
Ace 100 rear axle fits perfect--except!
Ace 100 rear axle fits perfect--except!
Hmm--I wonder how that worked.
Hmm--I wonder how that worked.
tvrc18

Post by tvrc18 »

I found a sleeve that was 15mm to 12mm step down on the auction sight and cut it to fit in the bearings and cut some 12mm spacers to fit the wheel. It turned out pretty good and was easier than I expected. That sleeve made it pretty easy also for the fork leg that has the bigger hole that clamps down on the axle. I cut a slot in the sleeve and made it a little long so it rest against one of the wheel spacers so I am sure the forks are not being pulled together when you tighten the axle. I just made one of the wheel spacers a little shorter than the other so the sleeve can take up any slack.
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello, Hodaka World, this has been a great info for all to take in when putting as set of Cerianni forks on the Hodaka, I was wondering what other brands of bikes IE Honda, Suzuki, Kaw and etc. forks have been adapted to a Hodaka especially the 30mm ones. What was needed to make the changes. Maybe some pictures explaining all mods needed would help. Thanks Bruce Young
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Bruce, on my post Day One-New Project has some not pointers but discoveries on mounting Cerianis on Hodakas. In the day we outfitted many Hodakas with Cerianis from Webco. They were the interim between the Ace 90-100 forks and the 100B and Super Rats. I have a set on my retired short tracker which now is just a display model in my living room. A friend of mine had a set that I talked him out of for my new project. This particular set was not for a Hodaka and called for a few mods which are discussed in that post. Anyway I thought they would be nostalgic if nothing else. One of the goals of The Day One project is to to use up all the parts from my friend and I's past (or any other parts in the shed.) As reality sets in it's business as usual, another expensive but fun project. It keeps me entertained.

Max
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello, Max I always like your post and help with different projects, all the info come from experience that we in the Hodaka World will never attain, I came from the the Penton and KTM world while racing, worked for Hi Point West in Sacramento, California, and then Western Power Sports, before retiring, so limited exposure to Hodaka,s. Its a true pleasure to be now a part of the Hodaka World, and help as much as I can with those out there needing parts and pieces. I truly enjoy your posts and conversations. My question was what other Brands IE Honda, Suzuki, or Kaw. of forks people found that could used on a Hodaka, with little modification and such. I know all need some sort of machine work, but some forks and parts needed less than others. It would interesting info to gather up to help others with updated their project machines. Thanks Bruce Keep up the great work.
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

A little follow up on the 12mm Hodaka axle to 15mm Ceriani forks. I followed Terry's advice and found a 12mm to 15 spacer on E-Bay and had enough to make two spacers one of which I sawed to allow it to cinch down on the axle. Problem solved.

Max
Attachments
12mm Hodaka axle to 15mm Ceriani forks spacer.
12mm Hodaka axle to 15mm Ceriani forks spacer.
tvrc18

Post by tvrc18 »

That is exactly what I did Max. It worked out really well and I had enough left over to make another for a set of forks I am going to use on another brand that I am fitting a set of Cerianis forks to. I was afraid it would not clamp down on the axle good enough with the slot cut in it but it worked fine
Terry