Duct Tape

Post by randyatlanta »

I just set a new low!
Even for me
I fixed a flat tire with duct tape
Come on guys
Hit me with your best shot
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Duct Tape

Post by Bullfrog »

A certain amount of pride can go with conquering adversity . . . for a short time . . . with limited materials . . . McGyver. But only a limited amount of pride . . . for a short time. ;)

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

What ever works I say.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hmm, you might be on to something, at least in an emergency. Give us a report on longevity if you can.

Max

PS--Jumping subjects here but Paul at SH does have great seat covers.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Making something out of nothing. Duct tape, see the king in action try --Red Green on the internet, he is the master. Old duct tape is the best or the industrial strength. New parts work to, Many shoes protected with duct tape. -----------Clarence
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

I'm sort of interested in the story about fixing a flat with duct tape. The report came in on a Monday . . . so there is the possibility that the emergency repair allowed finishing (winning?) a race. Or maybe it fixed things and saved a 5 mile ride out of the woods on a floppy flat tire? Or mayhaps young nephew, Jeffy, was over on Sunday . . . and a ride had been planned for weeks? What about it? Pray tell.

Speaking of praying -- I miss having Red Green on the TV! But back to the praying part. Red's local lodge - "Possum Lodge" (I think) had a special "Man's Prayer" which was recited before every lodge meeting. The prayer is recited with calm, er, um, deliberateness (one line at a time).

"I'm a man."

"I can change."

"If I have to."

Ed ;)
Keep the rubber side down!
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Women don't find Red Green handsome but they do find him handy. My he used a lot of duct tape for sure.

Max 8-)
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

Apparently parts of the Red Green show were filmed at the Sportsman Club just down the road from where I grew up, and used to ride my Dirt Squirt.

That's about as close to fame as I'll ever get.

Brian
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Inquiring minds want to know HOW this was done! Tape around the tube? A small tape patch? Please give us the details! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Red Green was the best. I really miss that show.
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Duck (Duct) Tape, who knew?

A little history... :ugeek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape ... _etymology
Rick Mott

Zyx

Post by Zyx »

RichardMott wrote:Duck (Duct) Tape, who knew?

A little history... :ugeek:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape ... _etymology
I did. The discussion of duct tape as opposed to Duck tape is correct. Whether invented for the purpose or not, it's use as a duct sealant in HVAC venting was its most prevalent use until around the Viet Nam war. My father was an HVAC engineer, so it's "correct" use was pointed out to me at an early age. The original 3M product was specifically for sealing ducting, and was not, strictly speaking, removable.

I have seen it used for lots of things for which it wasn't intended, the dumbest of which was reattaching a snow ski and elevator to a small fabric covered aircraft after it made a hard landing in remote Alaska, where the pilot and passenger were attempting to steal the avionics from a commuter plane that had crashed in the same spot a week earlier. We got to rescue both groups as part of my CAP experience, and I found both planes on those two missions, one visually, and one electronically in close to zero/zero weather. Fun times.

I also taped the shift cover back onto my Hodaka after having to forceably remove it ten minutes before the end of a two hour race in 1974, after the chain jumped off and jammed tight under the case. I booted it loose but that left me with only one screw that would hold, so I peeled tape off of the chrome tank and taped the side case back on. And, yes, the tape was there for emergencies. I used to put four to six long strips on the tank before a race because it kept it handy, and because it always came off the chrome where it would not always let go of other surfaces. That same weekend, I had used duct tape to build an air box around my open carb and sock filter because of the rain and deep water on the course that weekend. Both tape fixtures lasted until the next spring when I took the time to repair everything. I have a photo somewhere.
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

If you read the wiki page about Duck tape, you will see one of the uses as rotary wing repair on helicopters. The wiki says 100 MPH tape, but we called it 200 MPM tape. Great for patching bullet holes.

I had a European customer come to the USA in the 1990s to take maintenance charge of a Plastics factory in Kentucky. He was appalled by the extensive use of duct tape for temporary/permanent repairs. One of the first things he did was to have every bit of tape removed and then outlawed its use. Rolls of tape were not even allowed in the plant.
He is now the managing director of that company. He is also a motorcycle guy. One of the nicest people you will ever meet. :D
Rick Mott

randyatlanta

Post by randyatlanta »

I think I'm gonna like this forum.
I used the duck tape on the front tire of my ex-wifes Ninja just before she took it out for a hot lap!
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I got to see Red Green live on stage a couple years ago. My daughter got us front row seats!

Right now I'm reading the last pages of the book "Red Green's Beginner's Guide to Women". Maybe what I've learned will help save my marriage :lol:

Before Red Green I remember a lot of Super Hunky praises for duct tape in the old DIrt Bike magazines. One of the more common tricks back then was to run duct tape across the top of your visor so that mud wouldn't slide down through the gap between the visor and helmet.

Darrell
Vancouver Island, BC
randyatlanta

Post by randyatlanta »

OK
I hate to disappoint
The duct tape went on a go cart that I've been pushing around the shop with a flat tire.
Its a Muskin Dune Cat from 1971. It appears to have tubeless paddle tires on back
I sprayed headliner adhesive on the tire at the bubbling spot and stuck a piece of duct tape over it.
It is still holding air! :shock: :D
randyatlanta

Post by randyatlanta »

OK
I hate to disappoint
The duct tape went on a go cart that I've been pushing around the shop with a flat tire.
Its a Muskin Dune Cat from 1971. It appears to have tubeless paddle tires on back
I sprayed headliner adhesive on the tire at the bubbling spot and stuck a piece of duct tape over it.
It is still holding air! :shock: :D