34mm conversion.

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Zyx

34mm conversion.

Post by Zyx »

I see there is a steering stem available that allows mounting 34mm forks to earlier models, but surely there is more to it than a steering stem. Anyone who has done this care to list the steps and parts needed? Are we talking major surgery or parts swapping?
AndyL

Re: 34mm conversion.

Post by AndyL »

I've done the swap to 6 or 7 race bikes.

Only issue I ever ran into was to modify the steering stops so you dont dent the tank (metal or plastic).

I usually built the stops up with the welder then cleaned up the welds with the grinder.

Andy #14u
MOVMX, AHRMA, & AMA
rtboone

Post by rtboone »

Greetings Az

Check out the discussion on page 42. There was quite a bit of helpful advice when I asked the same question back in Dec. of 2013.

Also-When are you going to have that yard sale? I'd like to redeem the $1 gift certificate that I won on your "name the frame "quiz.

Tom
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Tom,

Thanks for the reminder of the earlier discussion. I remember seeing it, now that I see it again. Since it was longer ago than yesterday, I forgot about it.

I find it fascinating that so many good parts came from the 03 Wombat, but I almost never see one in the flesh. It sounds like a very cool machine, and also sounds like the bike Hodaka should have brought to market in 1970 instead of 1976. According to the records, a lot of them were made, yet parts and examples are sparse. Is that because they are being hoarded, or because they have all been parted out?

Yard sale first Tuesday of every month.
dcooke007

Post by dcooke007 »

I do not know why the 03s are hard to find but I have one with title. I really like the 03s and many of the early 125 short comings were addressed with that model.

Danny
Charlie R

Post by Charlie R »

My guess would be the lack of pistons and rod kits led to the parting out of a lot of 03's. I realize that a 125 rod kit paired with a Road Toad crank will work but RT cranks must be getting scarce. Not long ago I had trouble finding a good useable crank. That's just my guess.

Charlie R.
Charlie R.
Broken Arrow, OK
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Well, I will give this a try. 250 trees, 03 forks to start, and will go from there. I have no problem with having a better front end.