Riding to Athena

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
DGardner

Riding to Athena

Post by DGardner »

10253785_10200635160917508_2342725667100300939_n.jpg
Okay Rich brought up the long haul ride that I'm going to try this year...This is probably the craziest thing I have ever tried and trust me I've been mixed up in a lot of them.
For this year I'm going to (TRY) ride my 94 wombat from northern Utah to Athena by way of Nevada, Northern California to Portland and down to I84 to Athena Or. That sound like a big goal just doing that but also I would like to ride a 1000 mikes in 24 hours. I don't know if I can do it.....but I will never know if I don't try.

The bike has been modified with a RK Tek radial head, Rich's porting, PWK carb, carb insert from thunder products, circle F pipe, MZ ignition, combat wombat 5th gear to close up the big gap on the over driven wombat 5th gear and I'm running a 16/47 gearing for a GPS verified 75mph top speed. Also I will be hauling two 2 gal rotopak gas cans with me for a total of 6.5 gals.
Last edited by DGardner on Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pep

Re: Riding to Athena

Post by Pep »

Stock shocks? You are a tough, tough man :D
We will be rooting for you - can't wait to see that beast in Athena! It's been really cool to see the progress on the bike over the past year.
Good luck and ride safe,
Laurie
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

Can I suggest a set of larger diameter, softer gel handlebar grips. They make them for dual sport bikes and they don't look bad on a Hodaka. I use them on my race bikes to fight of the tingling and numbness from the vibration.

I did a thousand mile day on my Goldwing years ago and am still trying to recover. You must be one tough dude.
Jack.Broomall

Post by Jack.Broomall »

My hat's off to anyone who tries to do any ride like you propose. Plus, you could be a candidate to get your name on this:
The majority of Hodakas ever built had lights and horns, at least somewhat suggesting that they should/could be driven on the highway. Go for it. It will be an adventure you'll never forget!
Jack
dcooke007

Post by dcooke007 »

That looks really great. Good luck Doug.

Danny
Scribbler

Post by Scribbler »

How about a Frank Wheeler Award - longest distance ridden to Hodaka Days on a Hodaka?
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Here is the link to Mike Perrett's ride in 2008. His name should be on the plaque, but was done prior to it being awarded.
:roll:
http://www.jhmand.com/hodaka/2008/2008-7.html
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
DGardner

Post by DGardner »

I like the grip idea! do you have a link to them?

Rick...I was reading Jack's blog on his epic ride that there was someone that did it on a 175. As I was reading about Mike's ride there was a photo of him at the top of the Garden city canyon....that was the seen of one of my stories.

At the time this story happened I was in my mid 20's owned a Kenworth and hauled livestock. Okay to set the seen I had driven all night and just before the sun came up my relief drive and I switched and I went to sleep. About noon I awoke and could tell we was just starting down the Garden city canyon and it is so steep with very sharp turns till you get about half way down all you can do is about 10-15 mph. Okay so I need to go to the bathroom and in my way of thinking......just stand on the fuel tank step and do it. There's not a person out there so I stepped out on the tank....in my underwear. I held on to the grab handle on the muffler and was doing my thing when I heard the door shut behind me as I turn around to look what happened my driver locked the door. So now I'm on the outside of the truck in my underwear going down the road just holding on to the mirror and the muffler grab handle yelling at my driver to let me in....he is crying he is laughing so hard. This is about the time we came around the last turn in the canyon and it is just straight down into Garden city. So my driver started picking up gears and in a very short time where doing about 60mph. Just as you come out of the canyon there is a hamburger drive in with outside table's...it being summer and noon it was full of people. So what did my driver do? if you guessed honk the horn your right. I'm just glad I give all them people a story to tell.
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Flyingdg,

You had me laughing at my desk. :lol: I am suppose to be working, so I'm busted. :D You tell a great story. I hope after your ride you can word-smith a good tale for the Resonator revisited. Bob Whitman loves material for the RR. :P
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Scribbler wrote:How about a Frank Wheeler Award - longest distance ridden to Hodaka Days on a Hodaka?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Did you see the award two post up from yours? :o :o :o :o :o
TrophyHunter

Post by TrophyHunter »

http://www.amazon.com/Grab-On-Grips-Gri ... 7XEXCQG65E

Slip over type grips to help with the comfort. Some foam one's out there, too. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EYCPD2K?psc=1
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

The grips I used were from Pro Grip. They were called Dual Sport Gel. I see them listed on Ebay or most shops should be able to order for you.
DGardner

Post by DGardner »

Okay thanks for the tips on the grips. DG
MWL

Post by MWL »

Doug
I hope you get your motor issues resolved so you can still make this trip. Do you plan to document your trip online? I am looking forward to reading about your adventure and how the Hodaka performs. Good luck and ride safe.
Mike
Brian4236

Post by Brian4236 »

Good luck, Doug.
I have never gone 75 MPH on a Hodaka; that in itself sounds fun.
Safe travels.
--Brian
DGardner

Post by DGardner »

Mike....I don't think I'm going to do the 1000 miles now but I will still ride up to Athena on my bike. We've got it running close to what it was. I will post some photos on the FB hodaka fan club of my ride up there and I hope to do the 650 miles in one day.
Pep

Post by Pep »

"only" 650 miles...in one day... :shock:
We'll have a couple of cold ones waiting for you in Athena...
See ya soon!
Laurie