Day One - New Project

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
hodakamax

Re: Day One - New Project

Post by hodakamax »

Hey d_r, seems we agree on the AlpineStar boots. They are so stiff that they are even difficult to walk in. I'll give them another try with the new brake petal but I'm skeptical that they will work. I hate to start boot shopping yet again. :(

Later,

Max
Last edited by hodakamax on Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
DGardner

Post by DGardner »

Fun stuff Max....Thanks for sharing! DG
DGardner

Post by DGardner »

The fun of building old bikes is making them better or perform better than new. This just some of the stuff I've made for my bikes with just a welder a grinder and the will to make it. I like checking out what Max has come up with on his hodaka to make it his hodaka.
Attachments
1379242_3657568493881_1763704998_n.jpg
003 (3).JPG
030.JPG
004 (4).JPG
001 (5).JPG
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Cool stuff Doug! You are fortunate in that you can weld also. Old bikes do seem to want for attention and modification. After several decades it's easy to spot some needed improvements. Hodakas in my opinion were made to be modified. My first Ace 90 was being modified within hours of purchase into a racer of the times over a several year period. It's really been fun returning to the Hodaka world after being gone for decades. This project has been based on modification of almost every component. Not only is the project fun but the Forum thing with all the fun people adds to the good experience! :)

Thanks for everyone's advice and comments.

Max
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Doug, Your Maico parts look better than the Wheelsmith parts of old. Nice work. And a quick question for you or any welder out there. What is a good welder to work on our hobby that doesn't cost and arm and a leg and is somewhat easy to learn on? I have used an old stick welder years ago, but I know there are much better and easier to use welders out there now. Thanks
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Very nice brake lever mod!

On the boots topic, I'd recommend doing a bit of searching for copies of vintage motorcycle boots. I bought a pair sometime before 2010 which is very remiscent of the old Full Bores, but with over-center cam lock closures (wayeeee easy to put on). They are leather and offer good feel. Protection is likely on par with boots from the 1970's - which is fine with me. Of course, I still ride with an open face helmet too (Just like the '60's and 70's :-) ) I've been out of the boot market long enough now that I can't offer advice on where to find 'em, or even if they are still available (sorry 'bout that).
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

I know Metro Racing sells a reproduction of the old (1970's) Hi-Point boot. It is an all leather boot with a metal shin guard and is made by AlpineStar, just like the originals. Strictly Hodaka is listed as one of their dealers, so the boots might be available from Paul.
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

That's it. Those are the boots I got. I actually find them to be quite comfortable too.
Ed
Zeek

Post by Zeek »

On the boots thing again :D
I still have an old pair of early Hi-Points (not for sale)
P1010029.JPG
"Experience is something you never get until just after you need it" :D
Little Squirt owner
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Personally in the early days I wore linesmen's boots until I took a spill on an icy path. I hit my shin bone so hard I thought I broke it. I didn't. I went right out an bought a pair of "Full Bore" MX boots. All leather. They were kicking around the house for many years after I stopped riding for a while. (20 Years) They eventually fell abort and made their way to the land fill.
I now am on my third set of boots. O'Neal's then MSR.
Last edited by RichardMott on Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

My Torsten Hallman boots are older than several people on the Forum. This is my second pair that I bought about 1970. I was just trying to update to something safer but the AlpineStars just don't work at all. I wore my old boots one more time at the ISDTRR in Oklahoma a couple of years ago. I'm getting old and they actually still might outlast me. They don't make'm like they used to!

I do have to go to Tulsa Oklahoma soon. They have an excellent MC boot shop there. I'll try some on and try to give a report.

Maxie
Attachments
Even good for road racing! Cool old boots.
Even good for road racing! Cool old boots.
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Y'all should consider Trials boots; way more flexible and comfortable (sensitive, too) than MX boots. Also, smooth bottoms which don't load up with mud, yet give r4easonable t5raction.
Bob
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Max I have worked in the MC industry for over 35years before retirement. I have sold everything from Alpinstars, whom made the original Hi Point boots with a private label plate on front, to Fly and Gaerne boots. I would suggest you look for or at Trials boots not MX boots since I gather that is the way you are going with this new project bike. Those boots are designed to give comfort, movement in all directions, as well as working in all sorts of conditions. The MX boots of today are very rigid, and are made to take a licking and keep coming back for more. You want something else. I might suggest calling Bob at Gaerne boots, 1800-426-0213, for info and more suggestions and ideas. Tell him I told you to call. Now if you are going to an MC boot shop, take a long look before deciding. I like also EDs, suggestion for full-bore boots. Good luck, don,t make a quick buy, look around. You deserve to get the best for the money spent. Bruce Young
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

OK, I suppose these are out. 8-) Seriously though I did find several Trials boots on Amazon just now. I have weird feet I guess, I need to try some on.

Max

PS--Bruce, I just went to the Gaerne site. They do have cool Trials type boots. (Not the ones below.)
Attachments
How about these under Trial boots/Amazon?
How about these under Trial boots/Amazon?
51Wuofx3M3L._AC_UL320_SR320,320_.jpg (21.5 KiB) Viewed 7049 times
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I keep trying to design some type of protection for the air cleaner from splashes. This could be an option although visually it looks a little klunky, I guess would be the word. Maybe it needs to silver or black or decaled. I haven't built a rear mount yet but the end near the carb sits nicely on a strip of glued in foam. K&N makes a slip over splash guard cover that appears to look equally bad. I'm just in my usual prototyping and this one may go back on the shelf. Opinions welcome! ;) (and be honest.)

Maxie
Attachments
Nice intake area.
Nice intake area.
Splash guard assembly.
Splash guard assembly.
Too ugly?
Too ugly?
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Is it PVC or a butter bucket. It looks functional. Dry humor Clarence
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

OK Clarence, how about sewer pipe? It looks a bit better with the bracket. I'll try a decal or maybe silver. I might save this thing yet!

Max
Attachments
Bracket figured out.
Bracket figured out.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

OK Gang, this is going to work. Even a sewer pipe can be made to look good with enough fiddling! I'm happy anyway. :)

Maxie
Attachments
Acceptable splash guard.
Acceptable splash guard.
Plenty of intake and a few more inches of waterline.
Plenty of intake and a few more inches of waterline.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Just one more shot while I'm playing. :roll:
Attachments
Right side with instructions.
Right side with instructions.
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

OK. Trouble maker comment here. Looks like a very effective water/mud catching device/funnel for anything that reaches the opening.

What about a European style fabric splash shroud? (Easy for me to say - hard to do.) Must survive next to exhaust. Must not hide the tool canister.
Ed
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Ed, It does have an opening in the foam ring for drainage which can optionally be plugged---and after all that work, I'm Done! :lol:

Maxie
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I just wonder if it stifles the effectiveness of the K&N air intake? Have you tested it with the motor running? I'm assuming it doesn't make the intake run richer? Just curious!

I have a similar filter on my ACE, but no splash guard. Let me know how it works! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Ed, I guess I did ask for opinions and to qualm your fears I did check out your funnel concern. The intake is covered by the width of the seat and when setting on the bike your legs are over that part. I think I'll go ahead and plug the foam space for drainage and install a removable plug in the bottom.

And Victor, there does seem to be ample intake area and plenty of room around the tapered filter. I think all is well. The engine hasn't been started yet and the carb is from a 94 Wombat. I've upped the jetting to probably much too rich but that's how I want to start out. It's all ready to go and I'm still waiting on the seat.

Max

PS--This splash guard is probably overkill but it did entertain me for several hours and made this old guy think. (And I've morphed into a fair weather rider anyway.) :roll:
Attachments
Seat and legs appear to cover intake.
Seat and legs appear to cover intake.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hmmm---Not many comments on my labor intensive splashguard, always a bad sign. Even I was a little hesitant to accept it. It is growing on me and if I change my mind it does come off easily. I think I like it.

Another small item has been dealt with and that is securing of the tool box lid. All my mechanical ideas were bad and you can't beat Velcro and straps to secure motorcycle things. Another cool thing I found in the bicycle department in Wal-Mart was this neat Bell tool bag with straps and quick releases to secure tools and keep them from rattling and has a nice zipper entry. Cheap and cool. You can even mount it in different places on the bars or frame with the straps and Velcro. Fits in the Hodaka tool box. All small items but useful and good for a report.

Max
Attachments
Toolbox latch and cool Bell tool bag.
Toolbox latch and cool Bell tool bag.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Hey! I like that tool bag! I bought one from Dan at Hodaka-Parts.com. But it turned out to be huge! It won't fit in the OEM tool box on the Ace even empty! I'll have to go find one like that! ; D Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90