Day One - New Project

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
hodakamax

Re: Day One - New Project

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Greg, yes I have some packing to install. I doubt it will help much but it might be acceptable for my use. I have a Circle F pipe on my 94A that performs great but is just too darn loud. It requires ear plugs even on a trail ride. There are lots of screens and baffles in the old 94A pipe that I'm using on this project and hopefully this silencer combination will at least make it rideable. We'll see (or hear). :roll: If this works out I may try to extend the unit to include a spark arrester.

Max
Attachments
What's that you say? Humor for the day. Culture at the Art museum.
What's that you say? Humor for the day. Culture at the Art museum.
Last edited by hodakamax on Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Wow, it's darned hot and muggy in Kansas today and I'm stuck in the indoors Hodaka shop. I may never need a spark arrester but while I have time on my hands I decided to at least make provisions for one before the new silencer turns 2-stroke black. The plan is (should I need one) to make a fine mesh screen cylinder that could be flared to go under this washer that is now bolted to the silencer. The screen cylinder would be about 3- 5" long and terminated on one end and flared on the other.

Just fiddling, :)

Max
Attachments
Provisions for spark arrester.
Provisions for spark arrester.
Last edited by hodakamax on Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Max does the end of the spark arrester you built have the US forestry approved spark arrestor info on it. They have to read that info from the outside without sticking a probe into the unit. In the old days people would not believe what we put inside to stop the probe. That is the reason they went to the stamped info on the unit. Make that provision if you have not as well, it has to have that to make it pass some riding areas, throughout the US. Great work as I have said before you are an artiste. Bruce Young
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey Bruce, there is a USF approval rating stamped on the pipe but the silencer has been fabricated from scratch. I'll probably never need one but I would like for it to be legal.

Thanks for the info!

Max
Attachments
UFS approved stamp on pipe.
UFS approved stamp on pipe.
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

I knew that something like that would never slip by a master builder. DETAILS,,DETAILS !!!! Thanks Bruce
---

Post by --- »

Do you want it to be legal, or look as if it is legal. They aren't the same thing. Personally, I don't care about the legality. Nor do USFS enforcement types know what a true spark arrestor looks like, which in fact is why the stamping is on the outside of the unit. The wording doesn't make it legal. The wording implies that at the time of manufacture, it was made according to an approved design, of which there are several. Once modified in any way, it is no longer legal regardless of what goodies are inside. But who is going to know just by looking? The USFS and DOJ would have to resurrect design permits for a forty year old bike to prove that what you have didn't come on the bike. I don't see that happening. If the Feds can't catch a terrorist after several interviews, how are they going to catch you?
GMc
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Yikes, I'm starting to panic. The Day One Project is nearly finished and I'm running out of ideas for modifications. The kinky exhaust seems vulnerable to damage and maybe I can build something to prevent disaster from happening. This skid plate/exhaust protector thing has been on my mind for awhile and maybe it's time to figure this thing out. At least I've started on it. This is what's happening so far. More to follow.
Max
Attachments
Skid plate/exhaust protector in early stage.
Skid plate/exhaust protector in early stage.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Here it is mounted. The guard is 1/4" aluminum and even though it is very strong and stiff appears to need some bracing to keep it from contacting the pipe during front impact. A brace and some cosmetic work will be the next step to prolong the project. :D

Max
Attachments
Fit appears good but still needs some bracing.
Fit appears good but still needs some bracing.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Cheez, this new guard project is about to wear me down. What seemed pretty straightforward fabrication turned into a 7 hour marathon today. Big fun of course but I am tired. This bracing was complicated in that there was a lot of trial and error plus lots of measuring not even counting actual fabrication. Not much room in there. All that's left is the detailing, fasteners and final assembly (I hope). I must say that it's rock solid now! Maybe tomorrow. :)

Maxie
Attachments
It all seemed easy at first.
It all seemed easy at first.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I was talking to Ed the other day and he mentioned a "jeweling" process for the new guard. It was done on the engine cowl of The Spirit of Saint Louis. I gave it a try and I'm undecided if it's too flashy for the project. Most of it won't be visible, maybe I should look at it installed. Jeweling or brushed? Opinions considered. I must say that really goes fast, like 10 minutes for both sides. Check it out!

Max
Attachments
Jeweling the new guard--Too much?
Jeweling the new guard--Too much?
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Dang you are FAST! That would have taken me days! I like it! It just screams "Custom!" -- like the rest of the bike.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

I to vote for the Jeweled look, Bruce
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I like it . Clarence in Minn.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Can't go wrong with three expert opinions, jeweling it is!

Maxie
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

OK, I think it's finished. This is an expensive piece figuring X- number of hours at minimum wage. A bit of overkill for sure. It's hard to give up the project after over a year of dabbling. What a fun experience. The seat guy will be here tomorrow to get the final info for the seat.

A bit more info on the guard. The basic 1/4" aluminum piece was purchased from a local fab/metal shop for $19 including a plasma computer cut out. It weighed in at 2.5 lbs and I removed 1/4 lb by drilling holes. Material purchased for the brackets was $4.75. The bends on the plate cost me lunch for my metal fab/machinist guy, $10 including tip. I splurged on fasteners at Ace Hardware for about $8. Bracket bends were vice and hammer. A drill press, hole saws, hammers, files and such were the tools available. How could you have that much fun for less than $40? :roll:

Max
Attachments
Final (I think) product ready to install.
Final (I think) product ready to install.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

A quick report on the "jeweling" process. It has limited applications of course but it was amazingly simple. After Ed's comment that I should try it on the new aluminum guard, I rummaged around and found this roughly 1" wire brush and mounted it in the drill press. I tested the process on the underside of the guard and was startled by the emerging visual effect. I had no layout and just overlapped and free handed the rows. I seemed that you could make no mistakes. The entire piece was covered in less than 10 minutes. Amazing!

Max
Attachments
It wasn't my idea.
It wasn't my idea.
The "Jeweling " process.
The "Jeweling " process.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

After mounting the guard my fears of too much glitz went away. It seems that just enough is showing to be interesting. Probably a good idea thanks to Ed. I must say that it doesn't just bolt on. The front brace pieces have to be fed in one at a time for assembly. Not only do you need another hand but you also need smaller fingers than I have. Not much room in there. A little frustrating but I guess I won't be removing it that often. Anyway this part is finished and the seat guy just picked up the new seat pan and made many measurements. Getting close to the end of this part of the adventure! :)

Max
Attachments
Where you need teeny fingers.
Where you need teeny fingers.
Final product-left
Final product-left
Final product-right
Final product-right
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Well I'm pushed off to page 2 again. Time to act on a new idea for the project. This has always been a weak spot on these old brake pedals and things are a little slow while waiting on the seat to be finished. I've bent some 1/4" rod to brace the pedal both lengthways and crossways. I think my expert welder has probably taken the weekend off and I'll have to wait until next week for the final on the pedal. Hmm, my new boots are always slipping off the brake pedal. It might be time for some alligator teeth also.

Later, ;)

Maxie
Attachments
Yet another idea while waiting on the seat.
Yet another idea while waiting on the seat.
Ready to weld.
Ready to weld.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

I never tried to make alligator teeth before and it took a couple of tries to get the spacing and bit size figured out but I think this will work. 1/4" bit on 3/8" centers worked out not perfect but OK. I also narrowed the width of the petal outside and rounded the corners for a better wrap of the teeth. A fun afternoon, I wish I knew how to weld. :(

Max
Attachments
First attempt at alligator teeth.
First attempt at alligator teeth.
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

This morning I took my brake project to Rod Blackburn's locally famous Exhaust and Hot Rod building shop for final welding. I remember now why I gave up welding. Again, he was enthused and dropped everything to knock it out. Another nice job again. Check it out! :)

Maxie
Attachments
Final product, how they should have been.
Final product, how they should have been.
1/4" steel rod bracing.
1/4" steel rod bracing.
Rod continues to brace foot pedal.
Rod continues to brace foot pedal.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Nice! 8-)

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Hey thanks Victor. Just got it remounted, looks factory! A while back I bought some new Alpinestar boots for the ISDTRR in Oklahoma. They fit great but they're so rigid and heavy duty I couldn't feel the brake pedal and they occasionally slipped off the pedal. :o Hopefully this will help!

Max
Attachments
Brake pedal modification complete.
Brake pedal modification complete.
Dale

Post by Dale »

That does look very nice. Just like it came that way...
Dale
bchappy

Post by bchappy »

Should have come from the factory that way. Good job.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Funny that you mentioned that you lost some feel of the brake pedal with new boots. I found the exact same thing. I was so used to my old (30 some years old) Hi-Point boots, that when I got a new pair of AlpineStars I couldn't feel the brake or the shifter lever. I ended up getting a pair of O'Neal boots because I could feel the brake and shifter with them (but I'm sure they don't give as good of protection as the AlpineStars do.)