Excel rims

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Zyx

Excel rims

Post by Zyx »

Has anyone determined which excel part number most closely approximates the appropriate fitment for the conical style hubs used on the later Hodakas? Every reference I can find for Excel rims starts with a brand and model of bike, none of which are Hodakas. I have tried guesstimating based on relative similarity in hub size, but so far haven't had much luck.

As an example, I just completed assembling an Excel FES-422 in 18x2.15x36h to a cushioned hub from a Wombat. It required a fair amount of realignment of the drill angle, but worse in my opinion, it required recutting of the nipple seat to achieve a concentric seat between nipple and rim dimple to avoid side load on the spoke. I was hoping to avoid repeating this drill with the front hub.

If someone has already been down this path and knows which part number works best with the conical hubs mated to 21" rims, please advise. Thanks.
Zyx

Re: Excel rims

Post by Zyx »

I received a response to an inquiry to RK Excel, makers of the rim. Their answer was that their predrilled rims are not suited for drum brake bikes (don't I know it), and suggested I contact Buchanan's as they purchase blank rims and custom drill to proper specs, and will provide spokes to match. I would have to say that a custom drilled rim beats a redrilled rim every time. I just didn't want to hand drill a blank and didn't want to spend six months building a jig.

Anyway, there's the answer for anyone contemplating new Excel rims. Contact Buchanan.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Only thing I found with Buchanan's is for the smaller bikes, (Steen), they don't have rims small enuff . I did buy my spokes thru them as they are the best source for spoke in the US.
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

For Steen rims, I believe the rims off the 1985 thru 2006 Honda Xr/CRF 100 rear wheel are the right size, and the spoke pattern is very close if not the same. The part number for those rims is 42701-KN4-013.
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

After passing a couple of messages back and forth with Buchanan, I think they clearly have a handle on the Hodaka build, and their prices seem fair for what you get, especially if you know you get a precisely punched rim that goes with your exact hub. They have 21" alloy rims starting in the WM1 range, which was stock width for Hodaka front rims. I didn't look at the chart to see if they had the smaller 17" or 18" rims some of the earlier bikes had, but they do also have steel rims, so it might be worth a look if you need something for a hybrid Hodaka. What I wanted to build was an MX setup in 18" and 21", which they do have.
Charlie R

Post by Charlie R »

Greg,

Just curious as to why you didn't use aluminum Hodaka rims. Say a 95,97,or 98 rears and a 95,97,98, or 71 front? Excels are EXPENSIVE. About 195.00 a copy aren't they?

Charlie R.
Charlie R.
Broken Arrow, OK
Charlie R

Post by Charlie R »

Ooops, forgot about the conical hub. But a 71 front should work.

Charlie R
Charlie R.
Broken Arrow, OK
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

I haven't used Hodaka stock AL rims because I don't have any and haven't seen any that weren't bolted to someone else's bike. The rear Excel was $99 on eBay, and I spent probably eight hours aligning the holes and seats, mostly due to the lack of a correct seat cutter. If I have the Excel front done by Buchanan it will be just short of $200 drilled. They don't charge all that much for the work, and obviously they don't take as much time as I did.

My stock steel Hodaka rims were Takasago, which is now Excel. I have a vintage aluminum Kawasaki rim on the back of the bike now, and it is also a Takasago, but it isn't exactly virgin. I got most of the whoopee out of it and you can't feel anything on the dirt, but I wanted to build something new to go with an anticipated project. I have tentatively sourced a 98 frame, I have 34 forks from an 03, 250 triple tree, and will move the 98 engine over to that frame and suspension, and replace the 98 on the old 100B with the old Webco 125 when I get that repaired. Plan to end up with two different bikes, one MX, one woods.
Charlie R

Post by Charlie R »

Alrighty then, sounds like you have a plan. I was just throwing out some possible ideas. How about some pics of your projects? You know how we love pics!

Charlie R.
Charlie R.
Broken Arrow, OK
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

Charlie, I wouldn't mind using original Hodaka rims if I could find a pair, but they seem scarce.

I intend to take a few pictures as I go along. Once all the big pieces are in hand I will do some before and afters. I have really liked the way my modified 100B handles since I turned it into a sorta super combat. So much better than when I was racing 40 years ago. It was spooky fun to ride on the Bad Rock. What I am aiming for now is an improved version of what I have, using a real SR/SC frame but with the heavier suspension in front. I need all the help I can get in making corners these days. Getting there one social security check at a time.