Looking 4 hard-to-find parts for the Harry Taylor Road Racer

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Jack.Broomall

Looking 4 hard-to-find parts for the Harry Taylor Road Racer

Post by Jack.Broomall »

I'm on the lookout for a couple of hard-to-find items needed for replica I'm building of Harry Taylor's 1968 Daytona Road Race Winner! Both parts are items that were listed in the Ace Racing Kit Parts List.

First- pn 918750R Kill switch. Crappy picture attached.
Second - pn 919040R Battery Bracket Assy.

Any leads or sources greatly appreciated. Message me here or email at [email protected] Immediate cash payment for anyone who wishes to sell either of these items. I will be at Hodaka Days if you wish to deliver there.

Thanks in advance.
Jack Broomall

hodakamax

Re: Looking 4 hard-to-find parts for the Harry Taylor Road R

Post by hodakamax »

Jack, If I had any of these parts I would gladly donate them to the cause. They are long gone. I still remember the poster in my shop of Harry Taylor's road racer at Daytona and exceeding 100 MPH. Keep up the good work!

Maxie
Jack.Broomall

Post by Jack.Broomall »

Thanks Maxie!
We'll find 'em - these parts are out there somewhere!

In the meantime I found a better pic of that race kit ignition switch. Check it out.

Jack
michael_perrett

Post by michael_perrett »

Jack, looks like a Ace 90 light switch/horn switch. Is the wirings to the contacts different?

Mike
dirtsquirt80

Post by dirtsquirt80 »

I have a brand new 919040 but no R in the part number Scott
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Everything in the 91 series is 90cc racing. AIR as I remember -----------Clarence
Jack.Broomall

Post by Jack.Broomall »

@ Mike - The piece I'm looking for could very easily be an adaptation from some other production part (ie Ace 90 Lights/horn) with just a change to the wiring connectors/pigtail or something like that. If I can run down the appropriate piece that visually looks the same I can manage necessary changes to the wiring etc. As best as I can tell on the Harry bike it was only used as an ignition kill switch - although, as you might guess, I don't have a wiring diagram! ;) Got one of these?

@ Scott Don't know what a regular 919040 (without the R) is. Is it a battery box assembly of some sort? Do you have a picure? VERYY interested!

Thanks for the help guys!
Jack
AndyL

Post by AndyL »

Jack,
If you are looking for the chrome switch on the handle bar, it is a CEV switch. CEV 8052 is the part number I think.

There are several versions: two position or three position, and with or with out a momentary switch on the front of the housing for kill or horn.

Alot of the early to mid 70's scooters and off road bikes used the switches.

Figure out if you want a two position or three position switch, and if it has the momentary button in it and then try the auction site.

I picked up three or four of them a couple years ago and still have one. Let me know the specifics and if what I have fits the bill, you can have it.
Andy #14u
MOVMX, AHRMA, & AMA
Jack.Broomall

Post by Jack.Broomall »

Andy,
Based on what I've been able to learn, The "stock" Hodaka switch assembly (908750C) had a three position switch at the end of the unit opposite where the wire harness entered. Then on the side it had a momentary contact button for the horn. Four wires in all, no info on harness length. The picture I have for the Harry Taylor Daytona winner (the black & white photo in my original post)shows what looks like exactly the same switch. Obviously , on a race bike, Harry would have used it only as an ignition / kill switch. Also, in the Ace road racing prep manual (and in the racing parts book) there is reference to a "Racing" ignition switch, p/n 918750R. Considering the part number similarity, it is likely that the "Race" piece is a slightly modified variant of the stock one - maybe something as simple as wiring harness length, different connectors, maybe wiring colors, or even something as simple as the wiring instructions that came packed in the box.. At this point I believe I could use either the "Race" piece 918750R or the stock component 908750 for the replica bike. I've seen many CEV switches in a variety of applications . If you have something like I've described and would be willing to sell it then I'm interested. Thanks so much for the info.
Jack
AndyL

Post by AndyL »

Jack,
I will look at what I have tonight and get back to you tomorrow.
Andy #14u
MOVMX, AHRMA, & AMA
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Jack, After some severe rummaging I found it!

Max
Attachments
Hodaka_HarryT758.jpg
dirtsquirt80

Post by dirtsquirt80 »

look's like jack found his battery box he will be picking it up from me tomorrow. glad to help out Jack!
Jack.Broomall

Post by Jack.Broomall »

@dirtsquirt80 True enough. The elusive battery box has surfaced less than an hour from home. The Hodaka community comes through once again! Thanks so much Scott!!!

@AndyL Thanks for your search and input. Hopefully something good turns up.

@Hodakamax Yup. That's the bike! Replica build well under way!
AndyL

Post by AndyL »

Jack,
All I came up with was this one: CEV, two position switch, with a button on top,not on the side. I will keep looking through the boxes I have, I swear I have one like you are looking for someplace.b
Andy #14u
MOVMX, AHRMA, & AMA
Zyx

Post by Zyx »

If all you intend to wire into the switch is the momentary kill function, you don't need a diagram. It is one wire with momentary ground to the bars, or if the switch does not have a body ground, the wire is in and out, one wire to ground the other to the ignition primary coil wire that runs from magneto to secondary coil. The kill switch only grounds this lead to kill. Pretty simple which is why the horn button used to be used a lot.
Jack.Broomall

Post by Jack.Broomall »

So I've got some news to report on the switch mystery. The Hodaka racing parts kit catalog shows the switch that I was trying to source and mentioned earlier under part number 918750R. Interestingly, the (obviously hand drawn) graphic in the book shows a wiring pigtail with 3 terminals. Seemingly not available anywhere under this part number. However the standard Ace dimmer/horn switch pn 908750C is available - it's clearly the same housing, attachment, buttons, and wire entry. Graphics in the book show 4 wires in the attached harness. So I went ahead and got one of those and, with some minor re-wiring, it will suffice for the subject part on the Harry Taylor replica bike.
The switch on Harry's bike
The new switch pn 908750C

Also, the frame and swing arm have returned from powder coat. Bike should be up on its wheels very shortly. Bike incorporates all of Harry's mods like the trick weld-on rearsets, swing arm reinforcements, and much more. Some mods visible to the naked eye, others not so much.

Looking forward to seeing many of you at Hodaka Days in a couple of weeks. I'll be on the search for more parts and info!
Jack Broomall
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Lookin' good, Jack; what a great project!

Bob