Model 98 compression

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
rtboone

Model 98 compression

Post by rtboone »

Hello all
Can anyone tell me what the correct compression for a 98 Super Rat should be with a fresh top end?
Also, can I use pump gas, or should I use race fuel or possibly AV gas?

Thanks

Tom
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Model 98 compression

Post by Bullfrog »

. . . somewhere around 150-160 psi.

You have several options - premium pump gas (Ethanol free) if you can find it easily, race fuel, race fuel/premium pump (non-ethanol) blend and yes, even aviation fuel. Though aviation fuel probably ought to be your last choice - it is designed to burn somewhat more slowly than auto gas, so won't perform as well as the other options listed above. It is however a usable option if race fuel feels too expensive and non-ethanol pump gas can't be easily found in your area. Note that there is a web site which lists where straight auto gas is available in every state.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
rtboone

Re: Model 98 compression

Post by rtboone »

Thanks Ed

I did a compression test and came up with 148 lbs. I assume that the number will come up a bit with a little running time and the ring gets seated,which should get me into the 150-160 range.

I also found that site you mentioned, and if anyone is interested, it is "www.puregas.org". Just click on your state to find vendors of non-ethanol fuel.

Tom