Experimenting with new Wombat Pipe

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
AKwombat

Experimenting with new Wombat Pipe

Post by AKwombat »

I built this pipe for my Wombat and test rode it for a few minutes last night prior to painting and adding the heat shield. The new pipe has a 1/8" bigger and 2-1/4" shorter head pipe as you can see in the picture below. The new pipe is also about 1/2" bigger in diameter in the center than my old flame thrower pipe, and the overall length of the new pipe is a bit shorter. This change seems to have really opened up the mid range power. Do you guys know what sort of jetting changes to expect with this pipe change? I adjusted the pilot air screw in about 1/2 turn but have not checked the jetting beyond that yet.
IMG_3770.jpeg
IMG_3770.jpeg
Attachments
IMG_3772.jpeg
AKwombat

Re: Experimenting with new Wombat Pipe

Post by AKwombat »

Not sure why I got two of the same picture?
Thanks,
Chris
Dale

Post by Dale »

Nice skills there Chris. Will we see this on the Bad Rock this year?
I don't have an answer on what jetting changes might be required. I would recommend going rich on the needle and the main and working back down to the correct jetting.
Dale
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Very hard to say on the jetting as it looks like your Wombat is far from stock. It appears to have an aluminum barrel (model 95, 97 or 03) and probably a different carb to match.
As Dale mentioned, go up on jetting to a rich setting and then start going down a size at a time (and only one change at a time).
Pipe looks good, be interesting to hear how it works once dialed in.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Get the pilot jet dialed in FIRST (per procedures from the manual), then make it rich everywhere else and start working toward leaner settings.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
AKwombat

Post by AKwombat »

Thank you for the guidance on this. I did some tuning today and got the pilot air screw dialed in but it looks like I will need either a richer needle or needle jet so that it going to slow this process down a bit. My wife and I are planning on driving down to Hodaka Days this year, and we look forward to seeing you guys there. I restored another model 94 last year for her to ride at Hodaka Days, which will be fun as we both had Wombats in our youth. Planning on riding my Wombat in the Bad Rock ride again. Thanks again for the jetting advice.
Chris
Dale

Post by Dale »

Sounds like you are on the right path with your carb. It sure takes extra patience when one doesn't have boxes of needle and needle jet options on hand!
I will look forward to seeing you there!
Dale