Bad condenser

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
S.M.

Bad condenser

Post by S.M. »

Hi guys.
Question: would a bad condenser possible damaged the Magneto coils?
I know it kills the spark but i can't see how it destroys the ignition and lightning coils? :shock:
With the multimeter now i get zero ohms on all coils.....i'm so sad about this....and dont know what to do.
Thanks in advance for the help
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Bad condenser

Post by Bullfrog »

Do you have the various coils fully disconnected from other items while testing (so you are SURE you are measuring resistance of ONLY one electrical component at a time)?
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
S.M.

Post by S.M. »

I think i need a new multimeter 8-) ...mine has only auto scale and i was expecting values higher than 0.8 -1.4 ohm .
Next step is to buy a new condenser and test if there is spark....
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

When checking for continuity make sure the ground wire on the coil being tested is detached from ground (including the coil frame). An example is on the Wombat it should show around 2.0 - 2.5 ohms.
S.M.

Post by S.M. »

Bullfrog wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:57 pm Do you have the various coils fully disconnected from other items while testing (so you are SURE you are measuring resistance of ONLY one electrical component at a time)?
Ed
It was my fault trust in my old multimeter....thanks.
S.M.

Post by S.M. »

dirty_rat wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:11 am When checking for continuity make sure the ground wire on the coil being tested is detached from ground (including the coil frame). An example is on the Wombat it should show around 2.0 - 2.5 ohms.
Nice tip....thanks