Adolph Schwarz

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Dirtranger

Adolph Schwarz

Post by Dirtranger »

Hello all,
Cycle World published an article in their February 2001 edition, "Ode to Hodaka", and mentions Adolph Schwarz (incorrectly spelled with a "t" in the last name) as one of the designers of the Hodaka. He lived in Walla Walla, Washington and was a Harley-Davidson dealer. He was a mechanic by trade and loved and lived for riding bikes. I am his grandson, son of J.D. Schwarz who is 90 and lives in Chico CA. I have restored one of Adolph's bikes, a 1948 AJS Stormer single 500 that he used to race flat tracks. I was the BLM ranger in Clear Creek California for 15 years and was a important part of the Quicksilver National Enduro. Thought I would reach out and say hello to all the Hodaka fans out there. I grew up riding a 90 and it was a part of my life I will never forget. Dad took our family up to our cabin in the Blue Mountains and along with my two brothers, dad would take us riding. I am 65 now and treasure those days. Anyway, still riding today. Keep the rubber side down!!
ossa95d

Re: Adolph Schwarz

Post by ossa95d »

Welcome and thanks for the interesting story. That AJS sounds like a great piece of history!
Ivan AKA "Pop"
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Adolph Schwarz

Post by Bullfrog »

I hired on at PABATCO in 1971, so I missed the developmental years of the Hodaka. However, I crossed paths "in the halls" (and elsewhere) with Adolph several times . . . a truly interesting character! It is interesting to hear that there was a big bore AJS in his history. I knew about the Harley connection . . . but not the AJS. Thanks for posting your story here!
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!