95 leaky crank shaft oil seal (left)

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
oochaDog

95 leaky crank shaft oil seal (left)

Post by oochaDog »

Hodaka Forum you're my only hope!

Hi all - I did a 6psi leak down test and I've got a leaky crank shaft oil seal (left side). See attached picture. All other seals and spark plug are good. How should I fix this? Purchase new bottom end kit from Terry and hope that fixes it? I rebuilt the bottom end about 3 years ago but this last year my compression is poor. I'm hoping y'all have a solution like "add some goop on it and it will be fine".

Thanks for any pointers.
Jay
Attachments
IMG_20231119_161745021.jpg
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: 95 leaky crank shaft oil seal (left)

Post by Bullfrog »

Sorry but that isn't a "goop solvable" problem. But the "fix" isn't terribly difficult (whew!). And it can all be done with engine in the frame (whew again).

First remove the seal. I like to pierce the "face" of the seal with sharp, pointy center punch to provide an entry hole for a sheet metal screw without creating metal shavings. Then screw in the sheet metal screw a couple of turns. This provides a way to "grab" the seal and pull it out. Take care to not damage the crank surface.

Oil the crank surface and seal lips prior to installing the new seal. Do NOT seat the seal too deeply - stop when the chamfer is "level" with the case boss. If the face of the seal gets driven in flush with the case boss, you've gone too far (and you get to do the replacement again). Why is it important to NOT drive the seal in too far? Because the inside of the seal can contact the bearing and starve itself for oil.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
oochaDog

Re: 95 leaky crank shaft oil seal (left)

Post by oochaDog »

Ed - thank you, thank you, thank you!