Fork Upgrade

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Ditcher976

Fork Upgrade

Post by Ditcher976 »

What are the best fork upgrade options for my wombat 94 ? Been reading through pages and on Facebook but wanted to reopen what my best and most least expensive route to upgrade to 34MM
dirty_rat

Re: Fork Upgrade

Post by dirty_rat »

Your biggest hurtle will be getting a set of triple clamps for your bike. If you can find them, the triple clamps from a model 03 Wombat will bolt right on. You can also use a set from either a 250SL or 250ED, but the steering stem tube will have to be exchanged for one the same configuration as the 03 Wombats (hodaka-parts.com used to have the conversion tubes).
Once you have the triple clamps, then it's just a matter of locating a good set of 34mm forks. Many of the Japanese bikes made during that time period used 34mm forks. As long as they are the same length and have the correct brake mounting points they should work. I had a friend that had the entire front fork assembly with triple clamps from a 1973 Yamaha YZ250 on his Super Rat and it bolted right on (but chances of finding a set of YZ250 forks not on a bike are next to impossible, but forks from a similar year Yamaha MX might also bolt right on). Just have to check at bike salvage yards and keep an eye on ebay.
Lastly, hodaka-parts.com sells the entire conversion, triple trees, forks, etc. all together so all you have to do is bolt it on (Part # 718750)
Ditcher976

Re: Fork Upgrade

Post by Ditcher976 »

Thank you