Relocating Condenser

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
dcooke007

Relocating Condenser

Post by dcooke007 »

This subject has been mentioned lately and some questions have been posted. Since I am relocating the condenser on my 03 Wombat thought some might like to see how this is done. Modification to the stator assembly will be covered today. In the process of restoring my 03 engine so it may be a few days before I get to the actual condenser relocating.

First remove the existing condenser and connect all the wires together that normally connect to the top of the condenser. For the 03 Wombat there are four wires. Two black wires, one goes to the ignition coil and the other to the ignition switch. One blue wire that connects to the points and one wire from the exciting coil. I basically soldered the wires together and then crimped the soldered connection with a heat shrink type butt connecter. With the butt connector still hot I pinched the open end closed and held it until the glue set. This provided a little more secure connection and a weather tight insulation. I tucked and cabled tied the wires on the bottom of the stator plate and routed the blue point wire through the original condenser opening. A lot less cluttered now. That's all for today.

Danny Cooke
DSCN2054[1].JPG
DSCN2055[1].JPG
Bill2001

Re: Relocating Condenser

Post by Bill2001 »

My concern is that adding a length of wire between the points and condenser is like putting an inductor in the circuit and LC circuits can be finicky.
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

We have been doing it for years without any problems at all. In fact, the condenser being mounted outside of the engine keeps it cooler, which possibly could increase the life of the condenser.
dcooke007

Post by dcooke007 »

Below is the condenser I sourced for this task. As you can see it has double wiring connectors that allow you to just plug it in directly with out any modifications to the original Hodaka wiring harness. Tees in to the black coil wire. I did have to change the connectors on this condenser....they were to small to mate with the Hodaka connectors. Bolted it to the coil for ground and with the wire end pointing in a downward direction. Daiichi part # 617-027, Honda part # 30250-329-305.

Danny Cooke
DSCN2076[1].JPG
DSCN2079[1].JPG
Last edited by dcooke007 on Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
dirtsquirt80

Post by dirtsquirt80 »

nice work Danny
MWL

Post by MWL »

What's the application/part number for that condenser?

thanks
Mike
dcooke007

Post by dcooke007 »

MWL wrote:What's the application/part number for that condenser?

thanks
Mike
Edited post with part #.
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Danny would it be possible to get info on an older lets say 90cc and 100cc ACE machines, two coil type. what and how does one relocate the condenser on those models, especially the proper wires colors and etc needed to use to extend wiring up to frame under tank and etc. You can send that info to my e-mail of ok, [email protected] Bruce
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
givergas

Post by givergas »

so im relocating the condenser on my 94 wombat under the tank. im a little confused about how to connect them up near the coil , do i have to cut and make new connectors , im having a brain fart about how to proceed any help would be appreciated... albert
Attachments
condenser relocating.jpg
Dale

Post by Dale »

Albert,
You are going to have to add some connectors to make this work. Danny has some nice pictures above of his pigtail that he built. You have an option to keep the original connector and just splice into the ignition wire (black). Or you could replace the original connector. I would add a double female bullet connector and then you can plug both your condenser and a kill button into that. I typically do the same for the ground wire (blue) rather than rely on the frame ground at the coil mounting bolt. Either works.
Dale
givergas

Post by givergas »

thank you dale that clears it up very well
Attachments
20230720_094641.jpg
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I do like Dale, sort of. I also like to use a 2 wire kill switch. So, I use a double female bullet connector on the blue wire from the stator, & a triple female on the black wire from the stator. Then I use male single bullet connectors on all the connecting wires. The ignition coil, the kill switch & the condenser.

I typically mount the condenser right on the front ignition coil mount bolt, using a slightly longer bolt and an extra lock washer. This grounds the condenser. Or you can use a hose clamp and clamp the condenser to the frame and run a blue wire to a bolt on the ignition coil.

Then I connect the condenser black wire, the ignition coil black wire & the kill switch black wire to the triple female connector on the black wire from the stator. And, I connect the ground from the coil & the ground from the kill switch to the blue wire from the stator.

This allows me to unplug anything I need to disconnect for electrical testing when needed.

:ugeek: Victor
Attachments
IMG_3352.jpeg

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace