New to group/model 94 Carb question

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
drbridge

New to group/model 94 Carb question

Post by drbridge »

I have been reading/lurking for a while, this is my first post. So much great info to be absorbed from this forum. I have 4 Hodakas now. A model 90, 92B+, 99 and I just picked up a model 94 at Hodaka days. this was our first trip to Hodaka days but won't be our last. It was a great time. Really enjoyed the Bad Rock ride on my B+ and was lucky enough to ride with the group of Dale, Joyce and Stan. Dale was a great guide.
Question I have is about the 24mm carb that came on the 94/94A models. I have been told by several people that they were not the best carbs. What is the knock on these carbs? The wombat I bought needs love for sure, however it starts and runs good. shifts good and clutch feels good has 150psi in compression test. I have not had a chance to do pressure test so I haven't ridden it much and probably won't until I restore it to where I want it. Any info on this wombat carb is appreciated.
Thanks, Doug
Dale

Re: New to group/model 94 Carb question

Post by Dale »

Doug, It was great meeting you and it was a great day on the Bad Rock!
As for the model 94 Wombat carburetors, there were two different runs. The early ones had the type A carb and then at frame number C01701 the type B carb was introduced.
The type A is generally considered to be good as only a pencil holder on your desk. The type B is the preferred carb. The model 94A Wombat was also equipped with the type B carb.
To quickly tell the difference, you can look through the venturi and you want to see the shroud of the needle jet (nozzle) protruding about 8mm. That is the type B carb. The type A carbs nozzle sits almost flush with the bottom of the venturi.
Hope that helps.
Dale
drbridge

Post by drbridge »

Ok, Thanks for clearing that up Dale. My serial number is post C01701 and after looking at the carb it is the type B that you described. So I should be good to go with a little rehab to the existing carb.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Still worth taking a look at the nozzle. I have a 94 Wombat with a higher VIN number that came to me with a type A carb installed.
Dale
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

If you go to the Library section on the Hodaka-Parts.com website, the specs for the carbs are listed.

Dale is correct about the SH-83A vs SH-83B carbs. I’ve attached a pic of the 2 side by side, from a previous Resonator Revisited article. There are more differences than the brass top of the needle jet.

The library also lists the differences in jetting and configuration. But the brass top of the needle jet is pretty much a dead give away between the 2 carbs.
Attachments
IMG_3298.jpeg

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
drbridge

Post by drbridge »

I checked the throat of the carb and it has the nozzle that sticks up into the throat of the carb like the picture shown of the VM 24 SH83B so it looks like I have the good one. Thanks for the info.