What is a Super Bee?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
danshale

What is a Super Bee?

Post by danshale »

HC,

Returned to Hodakaland (EO), and spoke to an old Hodaka dealer, Lindell’s in Pendleton. The owner opined he had a Super Bee.
Said it’s a 71-2’ Chrome tank Ace 100 w/ SR like air can and a 4-5” dia Super Bee sticker on top of tank by seat. Said it was a limited group at end of the Ace run.

Does anyone know more or have photos of one? PABATCO was good at names and marketing so seems plausible.
Last edited by danshale on Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thrownchain

Re: What is a Super Bee?

Post by thrownchain »

Wouldn't he be the best guy for pics?
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I've seen a picture of one a long time ago. It was yellow and the sticker looked like the Super Bee decal on the Dodge Coronet "Super Bee" - one of the fastest and coolest muscle cars EVER (I really really really REALLY wish I had one). I thought it was a one-off Works MX bike and not an official PABATCO offering.
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

I remember seeing that Bike in the early 70s. There were all sorts of buildups back then. One was a Yamadaka. I believe it was a Yamaha with a Hodaka Engine in it. You guys and gals are building nicer stuff than they did back then! My Opinion!!! Joe Ormonde.
danshale

Post by danshale »

He showed me a front-exhaust side angle picture of the bike. Sticker and air can features were not visible. He bought 2years ago, the sticker pealed to point of removal by seller before Lindell but said outline of it was 5”.

Wow, it’s a real adaptation bike. Cool it’s verified. If anyone has photos or more info, it’s interesting news. Thx
danshale

Post by danshale »

Here’s a ref on this forum, at bottom. Bike I saw was 100B/+ , the plot thickens, as they say.

User avatarrdbrooks14
Re: We just lost another good guy!

Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:57 am

Harlan was the first person I worked with when I did my Hodaka Redo in 2002. He became a good friend and Mentor to me. I spent many hours with him at his shop in PA working on bikes. He built Wombat'N'Stein initially and put that signature Maico Tank on it in 2002!! I have been racing that bike ever since. He also sold me two Super Combats, one of which became the Super Bee.
danshale

Post by danshale »

Matt & Joe,

Photobucket has this bike of avatarrdbrooks14 CW. Seems sticker floated to Lindell’s Ace. Was frame/bike do you recall seeing it on? thx
Attachments
CW Super Bee
CW Super Bee
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

To my knowledge, there were no factory produced "Super Bees" . . . it just didn't happen.

There were, however, a multitude of stickers and decals of all sorts of designs which were produced by PABATCO . . . and several involved bees.

I am convinced any "Super Bee" was the result of a semi-typical over-active imagination by a Hodaka owner - with support from the over-active imaginations of the PABATCO Promotion Department staff. (Marv and Scott and artists they knew in particular.)

The photo of the R. D. Brooks "Super Bee" is of a machine put together in that form some time after 2005 (I think). R.D. (aka "Buddy Seat Bob") was very active with Hodies for a while, but I think he is totally occupied by taking care of a vineyard right now.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

25DA2863-E1FF-45AF-9C56-716C001D82BA.jpeg
1564C10F-3F67-4385-AF11-845DE4857585.jpeg
E0874EC1-E241-4724-8350-9E44F390AF8C.jpeg
danshale

Post by danshale »

Flyin like a butterfly, stingin like a Super Bee! Thx Kelly.
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

I believe that he (R.D. Brooks) raced his Super Bee at the Hodaka Days event at Mid-Ohio back a few years ago. And as Ed said, his was a home made bike, using parts from many different models.
danshale

Post by danshale »

Plenty of Super Bee decals out there- Might have add a rebrand 71 to the growing list of projects!
Attachments
3C58C2B4-1310-4B19-A990-BC357812BFB9.jpeg
DD27B3CB-5D49-4F06-BB39-8108F4D4D04F.png
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

R.D. Brooks posted a few photos of some of his bikes on the FaceBook site a couple of days ago, and yes he did make up the bike names and logos.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Kelly is that you on the Super Bee/ if it is puller er up man and land on the rear tire power on?? Clarence
danshale

Post by danshale »

The Super B by Torque Engineering owner, Chuck Smith- a modified 71’ 92B.l from Modern Cycle Dec. 71.
Attachments
7C3AB70A-9CF3-4327-96D0-CFF755BB95A6.jpeg
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Reference that last post with the scan of the article on converting a "Super Bee" to 125. The process was something like, 1) Buy a Hodaka 100cc "B" model, 2) start removing bits and adding bits until you have yourself a "Super Bee", 3) . . . continue to pine for more power and purchase a Webco "big bore" kit to convert your "Super Bee" in a 125. (I wonder whether one of the many after-market "hop up" kit makers might have touted a "Super Bee"? Example of possible marketing text . . . "bolt this group of components on to your machine and it becomes a Super Bee!")

There were no "factory made" Super Bees. No.

Ed
PS: PABATCO did (repeat, DID) produce "Super B" stickers. Yes. (Gotta do what you can do to help keep the gung-ho guys, well, gung-ho.)! Recognize what your customers are doing . . . and support it. Yes.
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

Many moons ago I bought an early model Hodaka that had a twin cylinder Yamaha engine stuffed in it. I bought it for parts and while tearing it down found an aluminum tag about 1 inch by 2 inches with the word SUPER embossed in it. I remember asking Paul about it but he had no info. It appeared to be origanal to the bike and was bolted on but now cant remeber where. I saved it but where it is now is lost to fading memory. Anyone ever come across one?
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I have pictures and the magazine article on the super Bee in my old data files I will look it up some day and give the name and year of the super bee article. Clarence home trying to recoooperate.
givergas

Post by givergas »

Clarence i have to ask, recuperating from what? nothing to bad hope....albert
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Clarence, to quote Red Green, "We're all pullin' for ya." Whatever the malady, it is good that you are back home!
Ed
hodakamax

Post by hodakamax »

Just Max and the Old Man checking on our good friend Clarence. Be well my friend. Maxie
Bp299

Post by Bp299 »

Just joined after a search led me here.

Here is a Super B that was given to me couple years ago. Appears to have been a magazine bike? How available are parts if I want to bring her back to life?

Last edited by Bp299 on Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bp299

Post by Bp299 »

Last edited by Bp299 on Wed Jul 05, 2023 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

I met Mr. Lindell last week at Hodaka Days. I'd sure like to see a photo of the scooter he described. I'll wager that it has one of the promotional stickers which came out of the Advertising/Promotion Dept. with great regularity.
Ed