Hodaka Dealer and Distribtor project.

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Bruce Young

Hodaka Dealer and Distribtor project.

Post by Bruce Young »

Hodaka, "Dealer and Distribution list", project, Many of you have seen and contributed names and info on lots of old Hodaka Dealers throughout the US and Canada, those where posted on our Web site; Hodakapartsidaho.com, and we would like to say thank you. Well its time to make changes to that list by adding a lot more, but before doing that, you all know there where 11 Distributors that represented Hodaka all across the US and Canada. They spreed all across the US and supplied Bikes, parts and pieces and support to the dealers, beyond what home office in Athena did, they represented Hodaka on a local level to dealers. What would like to ask if anyone out there in the Hodaka World might have known whom the (owners names ) where of each of these Distributors across the US and Canada. I want to add those names to final project listing to make it much more interesting in the future. For those whom might have the book "Hodaka" that Ken Smith produced a picture and list of the Distributors is shown on page 24. If you don,,t have the book you need to get it. Lots of Historical info inside of the Hodaka we all know and love. Thank You Bruce Young I will also run this same post in the The Hodaka Fan Club. [email protected].
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
scmark

Re: Hodaka Dealer and Distribtor project.

Post by scmark »

From 1973 to 1976 I worked part time at a Hodaka Dealer in Jacksonville, FL named Blanding Motorcycle Sales. It was run by Jim Huovinen (found some documentation from the Super Rats I owned back in the day and corrected the spelling of Jim's last name). The distributor he got the bikes and parts from was Thigpen in Tifton, GA.
Last edited by scmark on Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Thanks, that name was on some info I just received and is added to the new list you will be able to see shortly, I will let everyone know when I have made all dealer additions and changes so you in the Hodaka World can enjoy and make comments, please note there will be other changes that will take place shortly there after. Thanks again, The changeover has begone. Bruce Young
Bobv07662

Post by Bobv07662 »

I don't know who this dealer's distributor was but I didn't see their name listed in the Smith book. In 1970 the place to buy a Hodaka in northern New Jersey was O'Brien Motors in Hawthorne NJ. They sold an odd assortment of vehicles, Datsun, Fiat, Lotus and Hodaka. I purchased an Ace 100 B+ and a 100MX Super Rat from them.
1976 ED250
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Vancouver Island Hodaka dealers

Here's a couple of dealers that I knew and remember:

George Dornian Hodaka
Adelaide Street
Port Alberni, BC

The Trail RIder
Wes Jackson
1637 Townsite Road
Nanaimo BC

My Wombat was sold by a Hodaka dealer in Duncan, BC. But darn, can't remember what it was called now. At any rate, the Hodaka dealerships seemed to be spaced about 30-35 miles apart on Vancouver Island.

The distributor for these dealers would have been Gemini Distributing (Terry Faust?), Vancouver BC. Also developed the Challenger trials bike.
ossa95d

Post by ossa95d »

In Southern Vermont
Ralph Bristol
Bristol Sport Motors
Rte 103
North Clarendon, Vermont
(He also sold OSSA's. My brother bought one there in 1969 which was the beginning of my OSSA connection. I did have an Ace before that.)
Ivan AKA "Pop"
ossa95d

Post by ossa95d »

Bruce I have old Cycle Sport Magazines from the 1960's and 70's. This magazine covered the motorcycling scene in the northeast and beyond and has dozens of Hodaka Dealer ads in it. Sometime I will go through old issues and try to get names and addresses from those issues for you if you don't have them.
Ivan AKA "Pop"
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello, ossa95d, bobv-7662,darrell, Thank you very much for the additional information, working on changes in listing now, about 1/2 way thru new info I received, then I will compare my old list to that new info and make adjustments and etc. Final faze of this project is to add in and change info about the 11+ Distributors all across the US and the globe. All that info will be presented on our web site and Terry,s Larson web site. Then have some ideas that will make it possible to make these list,s interactive with you in the Hodaka World, maps and etc. Thanks again for all the new info and suggestions, keep them coming, it all will considered and worked into the project, it all helps draw a picture of the Hodaka World looked like back in the day. Bruce Young
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

My 250ED was purchased new from K & D Cycle and Service in Cedar Falls, Iowa in June of 1976. Interestingly, I purchased it from a man in northern Michigan and was surprised to find its original title included with the bike. I live in Cedar Falls so the bike has made a giant loop through God-knows-where to return to its old stomping grounds. Its fun to think that I may have lined up with this bike at one of the many now-disappeared tracks that used to be everywhere back in the late 70's/80's. As I recall, K & D was a speed shop but I'm having a hard time recalling what all was sold there. My first Super Rat had a K & D sticker on the rear fender but I bought it used. I do remember buying parts there. I will do a little digging and find out as much as I can about K & D Cycle and Service.
Old Rat

Post by Old Rat »

My Dad, Bob Wilroy, was a Hodaka Dealer from around '69 to when they went out of Business. It was called Wil-Mac Service Center in Linden, Al.The distributor he got the bikes and parts from was Thigpen in Tifton, GA. We were also a Honda Dealer for a few years and then Bridgestone Motorcycles until they went out of business. It was an awesome childhood working in his shop, riding and motorcrossing the Super Rat's and Super Combats.
DaleT

Post by DaleT »

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I came across this thread while searching for some Hodaka info. Don't know if anyone is interested, but I still have my original Daytona Beach Tri County Motorcycles receipt from 1973 when my Mom took me to buy my new 1973 Super Rat. I will never forget that day! I would post a photo, but not sure how.
MTrat

Post by MTrat »

Recreational Sports and Imports, Inc
3876 Romrell Ave.
Idaho Falls, Idaho 83401