Hodaka Days Play Day?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Larry S

Hodaka Days Play Day?

Post by Larry S »

Why can't there be a "Play Day" for the riders who have no interest in racing but still like to play in the dirt?

I know this comes up every Hodaka Days and the racers always win. There needs to be a middle ground. Maybe an extended "practice" before the racing starts.

I'm 80. My racing days are behind me but I still love roaring around on a dirt track.

I have no problem paying the same fees as the racers as long as I get track time.

Larry S
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Hodaka Days Play Day?

Post by Bullfrog »

Nothing says you have to be fast to "race". The track isn't crowded, so there is a lot of room for the "go fast guys" to pass. I (for one) "race at my own pace" - which is as fast as any human can possibly go (except for those guys who zip by me like I'm tied to a post!) My starts are carefully managed to (mostly) stay clear of any potential first turn tangles . . . and all other track features are negotiated at MY comfort speed . . . so it's pretty much like a trail ride or track day for me anyway. Annnnndddd, in 2017 we did almost exactly what you have suggested in the original post. We did not have actual "races". We had a "track day". The track was open from about 8:30 to 2:00. Turn out was moderate, but each rider got all the track time he/she wanted to pack in.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I hear the main issue of just allowing riders is insurance. The land owners don't want to be liable for any injury/damage. When you sign up to race, the liability is covered by the race insurance. One way around that would be to designate a "race" or practice sesson where no one actually races, just cruises the track, but has to sign up just like the regular racers (including membership in the AMA, etc.) Just a thought.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Larry,
This past year, my son wanted to just ride the track but wasn't interested in racing. He paid the AMA and signup fee but not the additional fees for any race class. He had a blast just riding the track during the practice time. I believe that he got all the track time that he wanted.
Dale
Dale
gregg_floren

Post by gregg_floren »

Part of the reason we like to encourage racing is that it's more fun for spectators than just watching people ride around the track. . The sound of a bunch on two-strokes on the start line is just fun to hear. We also want to provide a venue for people who want to build a Hodaka MX bike and enjoy some friendly competition that's a little less intense than racing with people chasing national points in AHRMA or other AMA events

That being said, we understand that some people would rather just ride the track and not race. And that's perfectly okay. You can just ride the practice sessions if you want.

You are still required to be an AMA member, but we only charge $5 if you just want to ride the practice sessions.
Larry S

Post by Larry S »

Thank you everyone. I have decided to go with Greg and Dale's idea. The plan is to pay my entry fee and the AMA fee, but Not sign up for any races. This way, I can ride practice. Larry S