In Search Of Super Combat motor or Super Rat motor (any condition - almost!!)

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
TracerBullet

In Search Of Super Combat motor or Super Rat motor (any condition - almost!!)

Post by TracerBullet »

Hello fellow Hodaka friends! New member here. Thanks for having me. I am in search of a Super Combat motor or Super Rat motor. I have a 97 Super Combat chassis, but the PO installed an ACE 100 motor. My son and I are having a blast racing VMX with our older bikes, but the ACE 100 motor is way out-gunned on the track, to say the least! Thank you all for your help!! -Rick

Sorry about the photo being rotated upside down. Even when importing a rotated photo to correct this, the image is still upside down. I must be doing something wrong :-(
Attachments
Hodaka SuperCombat LogRoad.jpg
thrownchain

Re: In Search Of Super Combat motor or Super Rat motor (any condition - almost!!)

Post by thrownchain »

Try Scott Hatch
taber hodaka

Re: In Search Of Super Combat motor or Super Rat motor (any condition - almost!!)

Post by taber hodaka »

I am down to my last, new rat engine complete including shift and clutch covers carb ect, I would not get rid of it without putting in new seals, I have had good offers on the shift cover But I don't want to do that. I probably have a couple of rebuilt rat engines and other rat engines that would need rebuilt. -------------- Clarence
TracerBullet

Post by TracerBullet »

That sounds great, Clarence. Thanks for the response! I am very interested in any of the Rat engines that you are willing to sell. As I am a new member to this forum, I do not have PM capability. What is the best way to get in touch with you ( e-mail, text…)? Thanks again! -Rick
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Clarence Taber 406-892-3722
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Photo shows properly when ttouched to show separately.
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

The model 98 rat motor used in the model of the bike in the photo is entirely different from the early model 93 SR based on the Ace 100 motor. The later 100 had a CDI ignition, reed valve and a close ration transmission and was more closely related to the 97 Super Combat engine. Both 100 engines will fit, but your local racing organization may have rules that dictate what model you can use. I have raced both 100cc models and the late model is far superior.
TracerBullet

Post by TracerBullet »

Thanks for that info, olddogs! Are you referring to the ‘L’ engine vs the earlier ‘M’ engine of the SR? I am just learning the various Hodaka offerings and all this info is very much appreciated!! -Rick
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

Your bike frame is either a G or F model as they are almost identical. Yes the L motor is the later model. Your pipe has been modified to fit an Ace motor so an early Rat motor is a direct fit. A 93 top end is a direct bolt on and with the bigger carb and porting can be made very competitive. The Ace lower end is not much different. The 98 Rat and 97 SC used a flange mount pipe held on with springs versus the big nut. You would need a late model pipe or the skills to modify the one you have. These pipe are pricey when you find one. You could probably do a 93 Super Rat conversion of your existing motor for the price of a late model pipe. HPI has the parts available to support any engine you choose.
TracerBullet

Post by TracerBullet »

Thank you so much for all of that info, olddogs!! Now i just need to find the parts :-)
Stever

Post by Stever »

I have a complete Super Combat motor, used, that I purchased at Vintage Days at Mid-Ohio, I think that was 2006. It has the carb, but the rubber intake is cracked, of course. It has compression. I won't be using it now, but have not gotten around to selling it or any of my other orphaned projects. Contact me if you are interested, and I'll pull it off the shelf and give you better details.
TracerBullet

Post by TracerBullet »

Awesome Stever!! Yes, I’m interested in the SC motor. Thanks!! -Rick
Stever

Post by Stever »

Rick, I have to take my wife to the doctor tomorrow. I'll dig the motor out in the morning before we go, then get back with some details for you tomorrow evening.
TracerBullet

Post by TracerBullet »

Thank you Stever. I hope your wife is doing well. -Rick
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I copied you photo, cropped it a bit and added it back into this post. :ugeek: Victor
Attachments
98F5E2E1-2628-4D26-AE82-265A694BD763.jpeg

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Did you find a motor?