03 patina build

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
givergas

Re: 03 patina build

Post by givergas »

few thing going on in the shop this last couple of weeks one is the wiring harness. bought wire and Terminals from a on line source along with the crimping tool. what a difference a good system is when putting wires terminals on makes it enjoyable . on a bummer note when i was waiting for the wire and stuff to show up i was putting other stuff on the bike and i figured i would put the fly wheel on well i could not get the nut to go on the crank shaft i screwed around with it off and on for a few days. then i looked at the other 03 motor i have and only then did i realize that the threads on the crank shaft were to short and to buggered up to work holding the fly wheel on even if i got the nut to go on . well walked away for a few days trying to get my head around the problem . i figured the best thing to do is contact one of the masters of our universe so i emailed HODAKA DAVE and explained the problem, is advise / comment was that terry more than likely has a new crank shaft for it or a good machine shop could build up a weld and put new threads on. i checked my local machine shop, small town lots of farmers breaking / ruining things , and the guy didn't even blink and said no problem do it all the time will weld and put new threads on bring in the engine or shaft with the good threads and they will make it good as new for some where over a hundred bucks . so thats the plan. i have no idea how this slipped passed us even my 13 year old grandson when i was showing him said well of course they wont work there to short but there must of been a big brain fart in the room no other explanation on how this got so far along in the project with out noticing so im going to finish the wiring then clean up my work bench then take to engine apart which is a shame because it went together very nicely . so chock it up to life's little screw ups and move on ....albert
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Albert I would check the length of the threads with the flywheel off against a different crank just to make sure ?? Some one could have ground some off just to get back to better threads I have made thread chasers and cleaned the threads up, so I can get the nut on. Good to see the progress. ----------- Clarence
givergas

Post by givergas »

did that clarence maybe these pictures will explain it better. one picture is good threads and the other one is the bad threads. not a lot left
Attachments
IMG_2533.JPG
IMG_2531.JPG
givergas

Post by givergas »

got the crank shaft back from the machinist today. looks like new , $ 140.00 built up with weld and new treads . and while i was waiting got hold of a few new to me parts. now to find some time ......albert
Attachments
20220520_150143.jpg
20220602_144232.jpg
20220602_144154.jpg
givergas

Post by givergas »

seems slow lately so here's an update on my project. all cables on , still have to get the right plastic piece for the oil pump cable, oil pump has oil in it ready to prime, air cleaner on waiting for foam filter, need to get new sprockets and chain , would like to get a seat cover, now the wiring is giving me fits the blinkers work thats good. the brakes
lights work, but the horn and head light no go. they work with a direct hook up to the battery charger but to plug every thing in nothing. so thinking about just taking the wiring harness off and replacing all the wires and connectors . do have a very good spark . need to have a BBQ and burn out the pipe then will see if i can get it to run for a heat cycle . well thats about it i keep plugin away and things are getting there but just dont know were the time goes .....albert
Attachments
20220620_113744.jpg
20220715_164013.jpg
20220715_164103.jpg
givergas

Post by givergas »

nice bar-b-que this weekend . pipe welded in spots and painted and installed , new sprockets and chain , chain guard and Chain guide & sprocket protector with rollers installed . Shifter case and all that entails installed and seems to be working as it should . ive had the seat on and the tank is ready to go ... BUT that wiring is driving me nuts . blinkers and brake lights work but the horn and head light do not want to cooperate . if you hook the wires from the horn and head light up to the battery they work . i unplugged it all and walked away for a few days came back took my time and worked with the wiring diagram and still nothing . it frustrating i think i have to move on get it running and worry about it at a later date . my self imposed dead line is the sept 12 that is the lone eagle car show in town . like to see what people think of this one..... its close oh so close .....albert
Attachments
20220730_175712.jpg
20220730_174304.jpg
Dale

Post by Dale »

Looking good Albert. Regarding your wiring issue, you say that it is the headlamp and horn not working when connected. This tells me that you must have the emergency switch set to DC? Check that switch and its wiring. If you just check the horn wiring without the horn connected, you should measure 6vdc on the red wire to ground with the key on. The black wire should be open to ground until you depress the horn button. I would start there.
Dale
givergas

Post by givergas »

Thanks Dale I will give it a try. might take a week or so to find time right now but will update when I do
givergas

Post by givergas »

well well well , ive been poking around with this wiring problem again and taking dales advise and still don't have a clue . i will have some time in the next 3 or 4 days , daughter is coming for a few days and when wife and her sister get together i get a lot of shop time , i mean i love them to pieces but come on how can any 3 people talk so much , any way i digress , so im going to take a very close look , take the wiring off and basically start over . i know its a arduous task but what the heck its supposed to rain the next few days anyway , maybe i will find a broken wire or something .....albert
givergas

Post by givergas »

well the weekend is done and i have all but the head light and high beam indicator light not working . but im done in, i will revisit it this winter as im not going to license it this year any way, other than that its ready to start im waiting till Thursday. i had a hard time not taking care of the rust issues so i guess this is my version of a patina build. thanks for all the advise and parts and moral support . i will let you all know how it starts ....
Attachments
IMG_3646.JPG
IMG_3641.JPG
IMG_3639.JPG
IMG_3638.JPG
givergas

Post by givergas »

and i should mention that when i took the wiring harness off i found that on the connectors coming of rectifier and the fuse i split them so when i redid them and tied them together the horn started working . ....albert
Attachments
Screenshot (16).png
givergas

Post by givergas »

hello all well its a very nice day here in central Minnesota and so im making time for this 03 . so at the end of august i got this thing started and to my surprise all the wiring problems that i was having disappeared all lights working as they should be , but it smoked like no tomorrow the first time i just let it run had to hold the throttle on almost wide open for it to run i figured let it heat up shouldn't hurt right. so the next day same thing lots of smoke and only way to keep it running is to hold the throttle open all the way , by the way it does start easy couple of kicks , then life got in the way and now today i started it after a month of sitting and again 2 -3 kicks a fires up same thing lots of smoke , i check the carb settings , so just for the heck of it i turn the fuel off at the tank and then after a few seconds , 15- 25 ,seconds , it clears up and really starts running clear no or not much smoke and sounds nice . what am i missing it does have mixed gas in the tank and the oil lines are on . any suggestions on where to go from here thanks albert
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

Sounds like it could be the float valve is leaking or the floats aren't set right. Too much fuel into the float bowl will cause this problem. First thing to check.
If that is all fine, let us know and we can go from there.

Also, make sure the floats are actually floating and moving easily on their hinge.
Last edited by dirty_rat on Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
givergas

Post by givergas »

I will check this out and report back thank you...albert
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

So did you get to the bottom of the fuel problem, Albert? :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Yup, your description from Oct. 23 sure suggests that the floats are set incorrectly. When you "go in" to check it out, the float arms SHOULD be parallel with the float bowl gasket surface when you hold the carb upside down to "eyeball" it.
Keep the rubber side down!
givergas

Post by givergas »

It seems to be in order this is what I'm looking at I will try and get it back on today and see what happens
Attachments
20221026_061950.jpg
ossa95d

Post by ossa95d »

A couple of things to check regarding the floats and needle valve.
Make sure the floats are right side up, sounds silly but it happens from time to time.
Make sure the needle valve is seating properly in its seat and shuts off the fuel flow. This can be done by attaching the fuel line to the carb with the float bowl off the carb and turning on the petcock. With the carb right side up gently lift the float arms to contact the needle valve and see if it stops the flow.
Hope this helps to eliminate potential sources of your rich condition.
Ivan AKA "Pop"
Dale

Post by Dale »

Albert, I have to ask...
What main jet is installed? I ask because there is no jet shown in the picture.
I also see a good amount of erosion around the top of the tube where the main jet mounts. Could it be sucking fuel around the main jet?
Dale
givergas

Post by givergas »

Dale the main jet is a 180 took it off for the heck of it did find it was missing the pin to hold the main nozzle in the proper place. I did hook it up to the tank to see if it stopped the fuel moving the float arm and they seem to work and adjusted the float arms a bit after the test I have limited time right now so I will leave it apart for now to see if there is any more comments. Thanks albert
Attachments
20221026_111404.jpg
20221026_150033.jpg
20221026_150342.jpg
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Wow! Just saw your pic! Dale is right! With that erosion/chunk missing, it could be sucking more than twice what the main jet provides!

If you are pretty good at spreading, I would mix some JB Weld and try to fill that in. Otherwise, you will continue to be too rich! Yikes!
Attachments
2D524C9A-B93D-4308-830B-F3BA67B0E2CD.jpeg

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
givergas

Post by givergas »

ok , took the carb off and floats seem to be fine , hooked it up to the tank with out the bottom of the carb on and tested to see if gas stopped as , ossa95d aka pop , suggested and passed that test. floats are installed right. float arms are parallel. so next is to take victors advise but in stead of JB weld ii thinking fitting a thin gasket under the main jet washer and see if that does anything because when i started it again today , and it does start easily, i have the same problem , runs like its flooded turn the gas off and once the gas starts to run out runs great, in fact if you kind of shut and open the petcock you can reach a point that it runs pretty well , my time has got very limited when i can work on it so will keep you informed .any more ideas ? thanks....... albert
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

If you don’t want to use JB Weld, silver solder might be a good choice also. :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Silver Solder will not stick to chewing gum. I would find another carb? For 70 years I have used seal all in the yellow tube, also will work on floats or leaky gastanks. ------------ Clarence t
givergas

Post by givergas »

Clarence your a genius .... you just remined me that i do in fact have another carb and it might not be as nice on the outside but the inside looks much better . so will clean it up and switch it out and see how it goes , thanks for the bringing that up ....albert