what is the fork angle for a pure road bike ?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Larry S

what is the fork angle for a pure road bike ?

Post by Larry S »

The title says it all.
Attachments
DSCN3046.JPG
Larry S

Re: what is the fork angle for a pure road bike ?

Post by Larry S »

Google is your friend. I went on line and asked, "What is the fork angle for a Harley-Davidson Street Glide?" and went down a rabbit hole. It seems 29.25 degrees is the preferred angle.

I run 29 degrees on my Super Rat and C.W. but I thought a road bike would be different. To get the front end as low as I would like, I would be running about 27.5 degrees. I don't think that's a good idea. I'm just going to set it at 29 degrees and call it good.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Just kidding, how about a 17 inch ace 90 front wheel? the mean street machine looks good good. ---------- Clarence
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Larry,

Note that in many (most???) cases, when folks change the rake angle and they feel the difference in steering . . . what they are actually feeling is the effect of the change in "trail" which ALSO happened when the rake was changed. Rake and trail specifications are all over the map because engineers also consider all the other things which have an effect on handling/steering (wheelbase, center-of-gravity, rider position, intended use, desired high speed stability, nimble turning, horsepower, tire size, wheel size, etc., etc.)

There is an article in the Resonator Revisited (two parts, as I recall) which discusses rake and trail. The article may be helpful.

Generally, for your intended pure street use, you'll want to find the "trail" setting which matches your personal desires. Again, generally, more "trail" will give you more high speed stability with less nimble turning -- and less "trail" will reduce high speed stability but will increase nimbleness in turns.

Finally, for the average person - changing "rake" by sliding the fork tubes up or down in the triple clamps (or by raising or lowering the rear of the motorcycle) is the primary way we can "fine tune" "trail". It isn't the "rake" change we are after, it is the "trail" adjustment that we really notice.

Have fun tuning!
Ed
PS: Nice looking scooter!!
Keep the rubber side down!