Combat Wombat Airbox

Post by Yamadaka »

I'm in need of the ' air cleaner element cover" Part # is 953604......Thanks
matt glascock

Re: Combat Wombat Airbox

Post by matt glascock »

Try looking at the end of a rainbow.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Matt's response is indicative of the somewhat "unobtainium-like" nature of Combat Wombat air cleaners.

However, there is a relatively easy way to create your own inner cover. A flat steel sheet from, say, a heavy duty cookie sheet could be cut to shape and edges formed by bending (with small slits in the curved areas). A stack of fender washers or custom piece of aluminum could be used to "duplicate" the center "bump". Then you'd have a home-made equivalent part.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Yamadaka

Post by Yamadaka »

Yes I know they are very difficult to find
And thanks Ed for the suggestion
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Ed, how absolutely, critically important is that part in the grand scheme of things? If you grease up both ends of the filter well and tighten the wing nut up to 0.78 graunch?
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

"Critical" may not be the correct word. "Important" or "significant" may be better descriptors.

1) While a "0.78 graunch" tightening of the air cleaner cover wing nut "MIGHT" flex the outer cover enough to seal against the air cleaner element, (A concept not yet truly demonstrated by direct evidence.) doing so would utterly defeat one of the "significant" design features of the air cleaner assembly. To wit:
2) The inward bump on the outer cover and the outward bump on the inner cover work together to create an air space between the two covers which allows for air to more easily travel from the air inlet to all parts of the air cleaner element. This design feature is defeated by your suggestion . . . and this feature IS "important" AND "significant" ALMOST to the point of being "critical".

Proper (nearly un-restricted) air flow through air cleaner systems is a vastly under-appreciated influence on total engine performance.

Ed
PS: With all parts in place, tightening to only 0.33 graunch is required, though the safety clip MUST be installed.
PPS: The above graunch tightening specification is an estimate . . . I can't seem find my graunchmeter.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

:lol: Thanks Captain. And a bigger thank you for elucidating the role the features of the box/cover system play in improved air flow over the entire filter surface. Clever really.

PS- not to worry. The graunch scale is somewhat subjective. I really should be more scientific. 0.625 Reef.
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Dang! My reefometer has also been misplaced!
Ed
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

I reckon I could add that I have recommended the grunt scale in the past for tightening of the clutch nut when a torque wrench isn't available. But the grunt scale would certainly be the wrong one to use when tightening the air cleaner wing nut. Did someone say "wing nut"? ;)
Ed
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

:lol: