Road Toad Wiring Dilemma

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Steve C

Road Toad Wiring Dilemma

Post by Steve C »

After a pandemic forced delay, I'm resuming work on my Model 99 restoration project. I've run into a major problem with the wiring portion. I have no electrical experience and unfortunately the available schematic is essentially incomprehensible to me.
After an extensive internet search for photographs, I'm asking forum members if anyone could provide me with some color photos of the wiring system in place on the machine? I'm thinking side shots and over head views of the system taken with the tank and seat removed would greatly help this long term project proceed. Thank you all in advance.
Steve C
San Diego, CA
givergas

Re: Road Toad Wiring Dilemma

Post by givergas »

are you looking for how to route the wires and /or connections . i found it very intimating to but if you put your wiring harness on and start putting the wires that you know go together, blues go with blue , reds go with reds , you will find that its not as big of a mystery' as it seems. one thing i did was to color the wiring diagram in with colored pencils, i did it on the computer.it helped me figure it out a lot easier ....albert.....PS these pictures are from and 03 wombat but its darn near the same
Attachments
IMG_1158.JPG
IMG_1132.JPG
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

Everything helps! Your photos really expanded my data base.

I was really confused the way the schematic was layed out. It took awhile to determine that some of the switches, etc were mounted on the frame and swingarm.

Thank you again for taking the time to help me.

Steve
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Hello, contact Roger Karen in Utah, he is a Hodaka wiring guru. 1--435 994 0534 And he know Road Toads. Hard sometimes to catch first call, so keep trying. Hodakapartsidaho.com
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

Thank you. I’ll give him a call as soon as I get a spare moment.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Here’s a tip about using the wiring diagram. Look at each component to which the harness connects and connect each one separately!

What I like to do is work in a clockwise pattern starting with the headlight bucket. I also re-terminate each wire with a new bullet connector. You may chose not to do this step if all the connectors are still good and still have the insulator covers.

Working in just the headlight first, you have the headlight wires. Yellow (Y) is high beam, light blue (LB) is low beam & regular blue (BU) is ground. BU is ALWAYS GROUND.

Then the AC/DC switch. There are 3 red wires which connect to the Red (R) wire on the AC/DC switch. One from the speedo light, one from the neutral indicator light & one from the main harness which goes to the horn.

The Green (G) wire on the AC/DC switch gets 2 connections. The green (G) power wire which goes thru the main harness to the ignition switch and the Green (G) wire from the light switch on the handlebar.

Then the Brown (BN) wire on the AC/DC switch connects to the Brown (BN) wire in the main harness.

If you work slowly and carefully, only looking at one connection at a time, along with practice reading the wiring diagram while you’re not trying to connect wires, you will start to understand where each wire goes. I can pretty much look at photos of folks wiring connections and say which wire connects where without using a wiring diagram at all. It just takes practice & actually doing it a few times to become familiar.

You probably don’t have this option now, but, the first time I pulled a wiring harness off, I put masking tape on each side of the connection, male & female and numbered them. 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, etc. when it was all apart, it was easy to put it back together, just by matching up the numbers. If a female connector has 3 male connectors which join to it, all those wires get the same number!

If you need help, you can call me and I can talk you thru reconnecting your Road Toad. I’ve done 2 Toads successfully. The brake light connections can be especially confusing until you are used to which wires go where.

Save the wiring diagram I attached and read one small part connection & stop. Next time read the next part connection in a clockwise direction. It’s much easier to understand the ones with just 2 connections. :ugeek: Victor

(505) 913-055eight
Attachments
2512524D-BE3A-40CA-999D-B15EE75AEC43.jpeg

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

Thank you. As soon as I can get caught up at my job, I’ll put your information to use. I’ll download another copy of the diagram to study.

Again, thank you for taking the time to help me.
givergas

Post by givergas »

here's another thing i started doing just to get my mind wrapped around the wiring harness. coloring the diagram to help me follow the wires, and it gives me time to really look and follow the wires . and as a bonus i can sit on my butt and feel like im doing something
Attachments
03 wiring.png
ossa95d

Post by ossa95d »

Wow Giver, good job on the coloring, it's much easier and more fun to follow!
Ivan AKA "Pop"