Ace 100 piston rings

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
JPark

Ace 100 piston rings

Post by JPark »

A while back I did some sleuthing on possible alternatives for Ace 100 standard rings. You would think that, with 50X50 being such an obvious 100cc combo, some other bike would be the same. I came up empty.

Today, by accident, I stumbled on the Suzuki A100 which was made from about '68 to '78 and I suspect may have continued on in Indonesia for a while longer. I remember them being popular in the South Pacific as general haulers and powering street vendor trikes and such back then. The whole piston looks pretty similar but with a 14mm pin. The expander spring, ring thickness and such looks oh so familiar and it's a 50mm bore, apparently. The oversizes are .050 [020] and .100 [040] so the whole range of oversize wouldn't be there but you could whittle the .050 down to .025 .

CMSNL [cmsnl.com] has a listing at 35 Euros. The Suzuki part # is 12140-12012. This bike was sold as the Gofer in the US, probably trying to climb on the Rat and Toad thing.

I've moved on to the Wiseco piston, but maybe these would fit. Or not.
Summerland, B.C.
Al Harpster

Re: Ace 100 piston rings

Post by Al Harpster »

Very good thought.

I own a Gofer and I regret to say the rings are not as "tall" as the Old Ace rings.

I've got pictures of the Gofer if anyone wants to see a very nicely rebuilt one.
JPark

Post by JPark »

I've always wanted an A 100, Suzuki blue of course. I like the alloy barrel [don't disappoint me by saying it's just silver paint] and the rotary valve, but the four speed box seems a little dated.

I looked at the pictures and the ring lands looked to be the same height, but it's hard to see .4mm. Oh well......

There's an ex Shriners Gofer for sale here for about $2500 with 462 miles on it, but it's hard to see how a normal person would want one that bad. Or even an abnormal one like me, for that matter.
Summerland, B.C.
Al Harpster

Post by Al Harpster »

I've got at least $2500 in parts & porting work on my Gofer.

The parts are all in Asia.

Plenty of them.

Shipping, unlike Amazon, is far from free.

Delivery from Bangkok is 4-6 weeks.
JPark

Post by JPark »

Good to know. There aren't many old bikes that still have a parts supply. I love old Spanish bikes but I get the feeling that those parts are either over or soon to be. I like to ride my bikes, and that requires a parts supply, just as it did when they were new.

Al, what is the vibration/noise factor on the A100? I've never ridden one but found the K15 80 pretty smooth. Pretty much like a [Hodaka]90?
Summerland, B.C.