INTRO & ADVICE FOR LOOKING AT A '77 WOMBAT (03)

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
TheBevman

INTRO & ADVICE FOR LOOKING AT A '77 WOMBAT (03)

Post by TheBevman »

Hello All,
This is my first post, so I'll introduce myself. My name is Beven, 32 and I live in Yucca Valley, CA. I got bit bit by the Hodaka bug about a year ago, prior to that I was a staunch Triumph guy with a '66 Bonnie. Although, I have been fiending for an toaster tank model I recently stumbled onto a '77 Wombat (03) for the right price and in need of a bit of love. I think it'll be perfect for some soft-road riding here in the desert. That said, I turn to you with a few questions about it:

1. What are some of the tougher parts to come by for this model? I don't think its complete and want to make sure the tougher stuff to find is there.

2. Are there any particular faults with this model or anything I should be on the look out for?

3. Any general advice?

Thank you.
'72 Wombat (94)
'68 ACE 100 (Project with the kids)
'65 ACE 90? (Frame)
'66 Triumph Bonneville
'99 Triumph Adventurer
'66 Ace 90/100- Dirt only
dirtsquirt80

Re: INTRO & ADVICE FOR LOOKING AT A '77 WOMBAT (03)

Post by dirtsquirt80 »

you can get most everything for that model. nothing super rare I would say but the oe kill switch but u don't even really need that. post a picture let us see what you got. Scott
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Excellent bike for your use. Offers advantages over earlier models:
primary kick start (no need to find neutral first); reed valve (less fussy about jetting, more low end torque); better suspension (34mm forks, rather than 30mm). Parts are pretty easy.
Most common question (not really a problem) has to do with the crank assy: pistons are completely unique - no interchange w/other models, and other than std., over bore sizes are rare. You can install a crank from a late 100 (Road Toad/late Squirt) with an early rod and piston, but that's a bit elaborate. If you don't want to run oil injection, you mustsplit the cases, to drill an oil passage hole for a crank bearing. Not hard, but does mean dis-reassembly.
Great bike, overall, one of my favorites.
Bob
TheBevman

Post by TheBevman »

Well I'm sorry to say the seller left me hanging. I was the first to call and told him I'd take it for his price and pick it up this weekend, he's over 3 hrs away and refuses my calls nor will he return them. I guess a straight deal is to much to ask for these days. So, I guess the search continues while I continue to save. Regardless, thank you for your informative replies.
'72 Wombat (94)
'65 ACE 90? (Frame)
'66 Triumph Bonneville
'99 Triumph Adventurer
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

If you are up for a "project" I have an 03 available in Eugene, OR. Actually did "run good when parked" a couple of years ago, cheap ($600?).
Bob 541-954-0101
TheBevman

Post by TheBevman »

Thanks Bob,that's is a good deal but that's my budget. The 03 I was planning on getting was advertised for $375, that's why I jumped at it. OR is a bit far for the time being as well, if I'd have known in late July I would have brought it home with me when I visited my in-laws in Tualatin. Maybe I should save my cash until we visit next year, CA prices are getting rather steep where Hodakas are concerned.
'72 Wombat (94)
'65 ACE 90? (Frame)
'66 Triumph Bonneville
'99 Triumph Adventurer
RichardMott

Post by RichardMott »

Beven,

Come to Hodaka Days next June. Maybe Bob will hold it for you until then.

Rick
Rick Mott

In order to be old and wise, you must survive young and stupid!