1977 Hodaka 80cc

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
fred bird

1977 Hodaka 80cc

Post by fred bird »

I have a 1977 Hodaka 80cc dirt squirt. It seems to run and idle fine and does not smoke that bad. I have pressure tested it and at 6psi it leaks down fast to 4psi and then will hold for a long time and not leak down further. Just discovered when its idling, even cold just after starting it, I unscrewed the dipstick and oil gushes out. Oil level is correct on dipstick What is going on? https://youtu.be/GTgWsI9_UlA Thanks
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: 1977 Hodaka 80cc

Post by Bullfrog »

Your Squirt has a leak which is pressurizing the transmission cavity.

The engine has FAILED the pressure test. You should do a bit of detective work with the soapy water spray bottle to identify where the leak is. By removing magneto and clutch and primary gears you'll be able to search for leaks ALL over the outside of the engine. If none revealed by bubbling through the soapy water . . . then the leak must be between the case halves or a porous case . . . with the leak going into the transmission cavity. Externally, you may only be able to "see" the leak by way of bubbles at the transmission vent.

Ennnneywayeeee, your Squirt has an un-acceptable primary air leak and is in need of repair.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
fred bird

Re: 1977 Hodaka 80cc

Post by fred bird »

I was just going to replace both crank seals but after your good advice I will check for leaks before and after installation with the pressure test all over the engine. When I first bought it and got it running is was leaking heavy out of the trans vent (it was non-running for quite some time), then not so much if anything out of the trans/crankcase vent later on, then discovered the gusher removing the dipstick, amazing pressure. Thanks, Ed