Hodaka trivia

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
danshale

Re: Hodaka trivia

Post by danshale »

First, the tire thread was great.

Matt’s first two seem in point. The Fuji Motors is tougher. An book in Japanese post war mftr noted Fuji Industries made complete bikes and Smith book notes were financial support to supply chain vendors, including Hodaka. Fuji Motors made motors, like Hodaka to power FI bikes. Fuji motors unlike Hodaka’s which they provided design and tooling. When Hodaka went to be a bike assembler, wonder if Fuji Motors had tooling and materials contracts to help Hodaka with component parts.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

The answer will be two words and sums up your thoughts but we can only guess the true depth of Fuji's involvement. ------------ Clarence
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Copied from a document printed by the Pacific Basin Trading Company, in 1972 referencing its heritage.
The heritage is linked to the American Know How of Pacific Basin Trading Company,
the technology of Hodaka Industrial Company,
the manufacturing genius of Fuji Motors Corporation.
I would guess Fuji could turn desires into working realities.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

What did Jim Gentry , Leon Willbanks, Kirt Alexander and Charles L Swanson do for PABATCO? also what was the name of their man that ran the machine shop? Correct my spelling of names memories fade ----- Clarence
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

“ What did Jim Gentry , Leon Willbanks, Kirt Alexander and Charles L Swanson do for PABATCO? also what was the name of their man that ran the machine shop?“

Jim Gentry was a staff rider, rode with Ed Chesnut, and found out why the Road Toads were seizing, and took control of the project to relieve the 7,000 Road Toad Exhaust ports and over saw the project. He also test rode the 175, and responsible for reducing the weight of the 250’s. He also worked on the development of a snowmobile which never went into production. He was also a member of PAVATCO Management. Parts Dept. Manager, Service Dept. Manager, Warranty Manager.

Leon Wilbanks rode the first modified Ace 100 at the Trask Mountain Qualifier. He also was a staff rider for PABATCO. Pushed for Harry’s development of the reed valve because Harry put it in his Cotton Trials. Service Dept., Parts Department Manager.

Kurt Alexander worked with Harry Taylor early on developing Reed intake technology. He was a machinist and modified the crankcases to accept double-row ball bearings, modified the piston to allow piston guided rods, reducing the engine shake of the early 125cc motors. He also constructed much of the prototype of the 250. And he also worked extensively on the build of the Bullfrog. Service Dept., Parts Dept. Manager

Charles “Chuck” Swanson was a riding friend of Henry “Hank” Kopke, and helped design the first Ace 90. And he took the helm of PABATCO after Kopke’s untimely death. Research & Development, Service Manager, General Manager.

I’m guessing Curt Alexander was in charge of the machine shop?

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I guess it did not quantify my question, as I was looking for the outcome my brain was thinking of. I think when you mentioned staff riders you meant staff writer. Probably most of the employees were riders, how many would be a good question for Ed, Chuck, Jim or Marv & others. The question should have been who's who in the 60's. Who set up the dealers PABTACO or the distributors? Who did the calendar and the manual cartoons? Who was research and development? Who did the transfer of ownership to the distributor. Who was responsible for the Resonator. Who did the hodaka ads, Who covered the articles and racing events. Who was Marv Foster? Did Fuji make all engine components or did Hodaka? Who were the office gals that made this all happen? Was anyone ever on pay status to work on or race their Hodaka? What did Ed Do? -------Clarence
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Now you’re asking a whole bunch of new questions!!! I thought my answers were pretty good!?! Right out of the Hodaka book!!! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Sorry I did not give you recognition and credit for very quick informative answers out of the book. You were quick and correct straight out of the book and I thank you for that. I had dealings with these great people back in the day and it was such a pleasure working through and with PABATCO. Our memories fade at certain stages of our life and I am just trying to rekendal some thoughts. At some point we will not all be around and our only memory will be the book. I would like to know when they all started with the company. who did the ads for cycle magazines? And I was thinking Leon did a really good article on tuning the carb's I would like to find a copy read it and share it with you Victor. I am starting to go through some of my old files and see what I can find. Finding book answers could encourage others to buy the book. I need to get mine out and study it myself. Again thanks ----------- Clarence
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Thanks Clarence. I had just finished reading the book! And had to thumb back thru it. Then I checked the index and found a lot more. Then before the index was a page of employees and what their positions were, which I added on at the end of each answer! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Interpretation of the text in "the book" . . . and then interpretation of comments written about what was learned from the book . . . can lead to some giggles and misdirection.

Several of us who worked at PABATCO were referred to as "staff riders" in Vic's post. While technically true, it sort of implies that riding was part of our job descriptions. Actually, every employee at PABATCO could have been a "staff rider". Any of us could make arrangements to use a "company bike" to go riding. The true "staff riders" were those guys over in the R & D Department - riding was indeed part of their job descriptions.

As for Leon riding "the first modified Ace 100 at the Trask Mountain Qualifier" - again, technically true. He rode a modified Ace 100 at the FIRST Trask Mt. ISDT Qualifier event. It wasn't "the first modified Ace 100" (by a long shot). But it was modified, and it was ridden in the first Trask Mountain Qualifier.

Poetaytoe . . . Poetahtoe

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Well I can’t account for the way the book was written. And since I wasn’t a PABATCO employee, I don’t have that distinct advantage. The only advantage I have is I was the first one to answer and did my best based on resources available. Poetaytoe...Pohtahtoe...Pizza... :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90