Combat Wombat Suspension Modifications

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Pep

Combat Wombat Suspension Modifications

Post by Pep »

So here's a dumb question for the experts:
If I swap my CW to an 03 front end, what rear suspension changes are necessary?
Lengthen rear shocks and/or swingarm?
How badly would handling be affected by leaving the rear end alone?
I know this was discussed on the previous forum, but I can't remember the details.
Thanks!
-Laurie
bobwhitman

Re: Combat Wombat Suspension Modifications

Post by bobwhitman »

You need to lengthen rear shox or you have a cruiser... Not happy turning. Most of us have gone to 14.5". Swingarm's more costly/complex.
Bob
Pep

Post by Pep »

Thanks Bob,
I'm running 14" Works - maybe just dropping the tree a bit on the forks will keep things "normal"
rdbrooks14

Post by rdbrooks14 »

Again, many of us are running 14.5 and for a reason...

That setup gives you about the right "lift" in the rear to get the correct geometry without dropping the forks down too much. ONE your CW, with 14.5s you want about 29 degrees on the forks to give you the right trail all things considered.

You can drop your forks down in the trees BUT make sure you test FULL bottom to make sure you don't hit your fender! I don't think it will be an issue but you don't want to find out it is as you come off a huge double and find yourself sailing over the bars :roll:

Bob in MD
Bob in MD
39F
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Laurie, Greg made a neat setup on my bike to add about 1" to my rear of my bike. I didn't want to by another set of shocks, I will be getting my bike for storage to race on the 22th and I will take some photos of the part.
Kelly
Pep

Post by Pep »

Bob, thanks for the good advice - I'll take advantage of it - but I do try to avoid huge doubles on the Combat... :o
Kelly, I'd love to see the set-up, looking forward to the photos
Laurie
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Laurie:
You'll LIKE the model 03 Wombat forks on your Combat Wombat. They have been a "don't leave home without 'em" fixture on my "go fast" scooter since 2005.

You are getting excellent advice on the topic.

Ed
PS: Since you are doing a change-over on the front end anyway . . . now might be a good time to consider moving the brake backing plate to the "other" side (left side) and building up the new brake cable housing anchor point and long brake lever we discussed at Hodaka Days.
Keep the rubber side down!
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

PS: Since you are doing a change-over on the front end anyway . . . now might be a good time to consider moving the brake backing plate to the "other" side (left side) and building up the new brake cable housing anchor point and long brake lever we discussed at Hodaka Days.

...Or swap in a later, conical hub for the front wheel. Waay better than the original. (Ed values originality...
Bob
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

. . . however . . . even if the conical hub gets installed . . . switching the backing plate to the other side greatly improves the cable routing.

I guess I would have to admit that the bike I rode at the Reunion Ride had the conical hub with stock cam lever . . . and it was purty dang good!

Ed
PS: Of course it could be better yet with the lever pointing forward and with a bit of extra length. ;-)
Keep the rubber side down!
Pep

Post by Pep »

Thanks guys!
As a matter of fact, I laced up a conical hub - the CW will have a new world of a front end!
It will be nice to have some "slow down!" parts to match all the "go fast!" parts that I've put on the bike
Really appreciate all the input folks - y'all are a class act.
Laurie