Race Hodaka Wombat

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Dal Aymond

Race Hodaka Wombat

Post by Dal Aymond »

Do any of you guys and gals race your Wombat 125, in Vintage Motocross or Vintage Cross Country? Do you recommend any changes or upgrades?
TheBevman

Re: Race Hodaka Wombat

Post by TheBevman »

Dal,
I raced my M94 Wombat in VMX a few years ago. It's completely stock, all I did was remove the lights, battery, kickstand, unplug the ignition switch (so I didn't need to worry about a key), added some number plates and covered a few bit's with fuel hose. Here's a link to the thread that tells the story:

http://hodakaforum.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... hey#p24895

In hindsight, the only thing I would have done different was change to knobbys. I was running some Shinko enduro tires and they slid all over the dewy grass in the morning practices. Later in the day as the course was run dried and compacted, they slid all over that too.

All in all it was a blast and I look forward to giving it another try.

Bev
'72 Wombat (94)
'68 ACE 100 (Project with the kids)
'65 ACE 90? (Frame)
'66 Triumph Bonneville
'99 Triumph Adventurer
'66 Ace 90/100- Dirt only
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I would suggest some suspension upgrades. At least rear shocks and a front fork brace are advisable if the type of racing you are considering has any gnarly terrain or jumps. Beyond that, in my opinion, conversion to reed induction pays great dividends in either discipline, although you need to consider that reeds will take you out of the "classic class" in any AHRMA event. One could argue that reed conversion is the best single performance upgrade you can do. Better top end on an MX track, and better low gear grunt for woods racing with the usual hills to contend with. If you want to keep the motor with piston port induction, a little mild port work is good to consider.
Dal Aymond

Post by Dal Aymond »

Thank you, TheBevman, for your post.

Thank you, Matt glascock, for your post. I will be riding in the AHRMA 60+ Novice Vintage Cross Country Class, so if I go with reed valves, I'll still be ok.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

You will appreciate the reeds in the woods for sure. Low end torque-age is a must for low speed grunt, quick, controllable acceleration on a tight single-track woods course and hill climbing.