94 Headlamp question

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Dennis D

94 Headlamp question

Post by Dennis D »

With the e-switch in the dc position should the headlamp come on with the keyswitch in the "day position" ?
Scribbler

Re: 94 Headlamp question

Post by Scribbler »

Is your keyswitch 94 or 94A? On my 94A, the toggle switch DC position turns on the headlight in both 'Day' and 'Night' key position. The 94A is a lights on all the time bike and the keyswitch is different internally than the 94. Day and Night positions are essentially the same on the 94A.
Dennis D

Post by Dennis D »

Good question. Bike was pretty original so I assumed (yeah, I should know better) that it had the original switch in it. Diagram in the service manual shows the signals so it must be for the 94A but I have an original owners manual that has a diagram for the 94 in it. Wiring diagram for the 94A shows a red wire from the speedo light coming to the connector for the e-switch and connecting to another red wire which feeds positive to that light. But it also shows that wire continuing as a "dash" to connect to the brown wire connector at the e-switch. My 94 does not have that wire nor shows it in the owners manual diagram. Also no provision in the brown wire connector for another wire. I will compare the diagrams with the switch and see if I can determine which switch I have for sure. As long as I keep the e-switch in the ac position the light doesn't come on in the day position so it is probably not a big deal. I just like to make things work as they did and should. Thanks for the response, D

Part numbers for the switches look to be the same. 929436A
Scribbler

Post by Scribbler »

Let me say that now I'm not sure about the 94A keyswitch being different. And I'm not sure about daytime running lights on the 94A either. I'm doing the final assembly on my 94A now (I haven't ridden it since the late '70s!!). Memory fades in 40 years. So I won't know about operation with AC until I start it. I'm sure there are others here who know for sure.
Untitled.jpg
Dennis D

Post by Dennis D »

Well, looks as if I would have found that paragraph I wouldn't have had to ask the question. Thanks for posting it. Could you do me a favor and look at the brown wire connector in your headlamp and tell me if it has space for three or four wires? Just curious. D
Scribbler

Post by Scribbler »

On my 94A, there is space for four wires in that connector but only three brown wires - toggle switch, main harness and dimmer switch.
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

The wire diagram in the manual is for the model 94A. remove all the signal light wiring and you have the diagram for the Model 94.

I already did this for you. The diagram I modified to show the model 94 specifically can be found on Terry's website as the model 94 diagram: http://hodaka-parts.com/mfg-subcat-item ... -1&Format=
Dennis D

Post by Dennis D »

Thanks for the help/responses on this. I am good to go. Now if my handlebars would just get out of "chrome shop jail" D