New to Hodaka is this a deal?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
HauntedHead

New to Hodaka is this a deal?

Post by HauntedHead »

Hi everyone I am new here and to Hodaka restoration in general but it has long been on my bucket list ever since I saw a neighbor tool around on his road toad.
I’m not an experienced rider or restorer but figured now is a good time to learn.
I was wondering if this was a good deal for a project to start for a Hodaka ace 100

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mpo/d/ ... 45532.html

Thanks in advance!
viclioce

Re: New to Hodaka is this a deal?

Post by viclioce »

Missing quite a few parts but for what you’re getting the price is OK. You might be better off spending $2-400 more, buying a complete bike, because buying all the missing pieces will cost you more buying them separately.

If you go with this purchase, I would look for a complete motor. A complete motor will cost you less than buying a head, cylinder, piston assembly, crank shaft, main shaft, missing counter shaft gears, kick shaft & components, carburetor, etc. etc. etc.

Then, you can get a bottom end rebuild kit and start re-building a fresh motor! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
HauntedHead

Post by HauntedHead »

Thank you, yes I considered talking him down a bit, but it’s so rare I see Hodaka stuff in my area I felt like I should strike while The iron was hot, but you make good points. And thank you for the tips.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Where is your neck of the woods? There might be a clandestine Hodakaphile closer than you think.
HauntedHead

Post by HauntedHead »

I’m in California in the San Francisco Bay Area
City called Martinez
givergas

Post by givergas »

jump on it, they seem to multiply right before your eyes pretty soon you will have a few more and you have to start some where. i for instance picked one up and now 3 short years later have 3 more and ive spent more money on worse things . so if its on your bucket list nows the time. they do come up in your area from time to time... my 2 cents ...albert
TheBevman

Post by TheBevman »

HauntedHead wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:15 pm Thank you, yes I considered talking him down a bit, but it’s so rare I see Hodaka stuff in my area I felt like I should strike while The iron was hot, but you make good points. And thank you for the tips.
Haunted Head, I'm north of you in Redding. Also, you're right, Hodakas don't show up too often around here and when they do prices are quite high for what's on offer. In my experience, it's usually people who know nothing of old motorcycles and simply think they found a golden goose.... because its a "vintage" bike. The other half of the problem is that some are willing to pay those prices, which supports the trend and prices many people out of the hobby. IMHO I'll be glad when this fascination with all "vintage" things is over and we can enjoy our hobby without the predators. Just my 2 cents.

Bev
'72 Wombat (94)
'68 ACE 100 (Project with the kids)
'65 ACE 90? (Frame)
'66 Triumph Bonneville
'99 Triumph Adventurer
'66 Ace 90/100- Dirt only
HauntedHead

Post by HauntedHead »

Same experience here.
Whenever I do see Hodaka stuff appear on CL or OfferUp its usually a mess of parts or Just a completely roached out frame that is priced higher than everything in that CL listing combined. Maybe I’ll shoot him an offer a bit lower and see, worst comes to worse it will sit for awhile until I can afford to really get down and dirty. The frame/fenders/bars/shocks all look to be in fairly decent shape at least compared to what I’ve seen. Gotta start somewhere, all comments and advice are appreciated
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

When I am trying to decide if a parts or project bike is worth fixing I like to take an inventory and follow few basic rules. Are the hard to ship parts there? You can find wheels but getting them to your house can cost more than the wheel itself. What about the chrome parts? They can be expensive when located and plating rusted parts is out of reach for most garage rebuilds. Painted parts are usually the easiest parts to find and restore. The ACE is a good bike to start with, Lots were made and parts interchange between the years. Be careful, they become lonely and you eventually can end up with a whole family. Few fans of the bike stop at one.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

“Be careful, they become lonely and you eventually can end up with a whole family. Few fans of the bike stop at one.“

No, really??? That doesn’t happen often, does it? :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100