Ace 92B STD Piston Rings

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
brad100

Ace 92B STD Piston Rings

Post by brad100 »

Howdy guys, back at the Ace 100B. Looking for standard sized rings for my ART piston or one size over. Hodaka-parts.com doesn’t have them, as most of you know. The Caber 50mm x 2mm single weed eater piston ring is ~$110 shipped to Denver, so that’s a no-go. Anyone have some spares? Saw a post from a couple years back where someone had so many rings and pistons, they were gonna make wind chimes and ornaments. Hope everyone is well.
JPark

Re: Ace 92B STD Piston Rings

Post by JPark »

Standard rings probably exist forgotten on some shelf somewhere in the universe, but for sale probably not. I've searched for available substitutes and while you'd think that some other bike must have a 50mm piston and 2mm rings, well, if it exists there probably aren't rings for it either. You can start at Aprilia and work through to Zundapp - actually Zundapp did make a fast 100.....

I've just finished breaking in a Wiseco and it works fine, plus it's forged and overbuilt. The ring pins are in a better location IMHO, and there is no piston slap even when cold. In the long run, the bike would be better off with a non obsolete piston in it. At $35 or so for set, you can keep the rings fresh, which always aids the longevity of the piston and bore.
Summerland, B.C.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

If you look under Engine on the left side of the web page, Terry shows complete piston assemblies for the Ace motors from STD size up to .050.

If all you need is a set of rings, call Terry and he will ship them to you!!!

Terry Larson - (314) 313-5635

:ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
JPark

Post by JPark »

Vic, those assemblies are the Wisecos they made a run of. The rings are thinner and don't fit the old ART pistons.
Summerland, B.C.
brad100

Post by brad100 »

I've just finished breaking in a Wiseco and it works fine, plus it's forged and overbuilt. The ring pins are in a better location IMHO, and there is no piston slap even when cold. In the long run, the bike would be better off with a non obsolete piston in it. At $35 or so for set, you can keep the rings fresh, which always aids the longevity of the piston and bore.
JPark, where did you find the Wiseco piston? Could you send me a link, or do you have the part number? I can’t find one for an Ace 92B online, no matter what key words I use, besides the kit from hodaka-parts.

HOT TAKE
In my limited research, it looks like the 50mm Wiseco piston is discontinued. Can not find it for sale anywhere other than hodaka-parts.com. I have a feeling once that supply goes, it’s gone.
Attachments
23EE2280-FBB2-49E6-AA66-859F817C9EFD.jpeg
Last edited by brad100 on Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
JPark

Post by JPark »

The kit from Hodaka Parts. It's a Wiseco made for the 100s. Just go with that; you get all the bits you need including a fresh bearing. I doubt that it's a Wiseco catalogue item but a batch run for H Parts.

I know it seems spendy when all you were looking for was a leftover set of rings for back in the day prices [been there, etc] but the price is fair for what you're getting in 2020.
Summerland, B.C.
brad100

Post by brad100 »

I’ve been shopping for the standard Ace 100 rings on Hodaka-parts for over a year..never restocked. I unfortunately don’t think this stuff is getting replenished and am trying to find a workaround. Find it hard to believe that my only options are that or a $115 weed eater piston ring from Greece.
JPark

Post by JPark »

Piston and ring technology, like oils, has come a long way in the last half century. Even the cast iron barrel is pretty much gone. I'm surprised that they still make 2mm iron piston rings in Greece. Maybe made in the old facility that made the Olympic rings.
Summerland, B.C.
brad100

Post by brad100 »

https://www.amazon.com/Cylinder-Trimmer ... B07HJ6H61Q

Just came across this Husqvarna 50mm piston on Amazon. It lists measurements of the piston, but my Art piston is in the jug and I’m unable to measure it to see if it matches up. Read about someone using an obscure scooter piston in their Hodie, so I guess stranger things have been attempted, but I can’t find the post.
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

Take your piston to a Chain Saw or small engine repair shop. I posted about that dude in Greece. I bought a 50.50 mm piston ring in 2019 and it was $9.60 Shipped. WHY shipping is now over 100 bucks makes no sense! Perhaps a misprint or his mind got fried. Joe Ormonde.
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

I Emailed the EBAY seller in Greece . He can`t sell to anyone outside of Europe right now so he ran up the shipping costs so high that no one will buy from him. So, later on when the Greek Government says he can sell to outside Europe, the Piston Rings will be cheap again. A strange way to do things! Sounds Greek to me!Joe Ormonde.
brad100

Post by brad100 »

Joe, thanks for your input and I just got the same message this morning from our Greek friend. I did find a N. American seller of the same ring though. They label it as a compression ring. Wondering if I should order two for my Art piston, or if I need a dedicated “scraper” ring.

Edit: Spoke too soon, when I went to order 2 of these rings, at less than $5 each btw, shipping to America is not an option. The store is located in Greece. It’s the Greek fella, he just owns his own website outside of eBay. Cue “Curb Your Enthusiasm” theme song.