Resonator

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
matt glascock

Resonator

Post by matt glascock »

My congratulations on another excellent edition of The Resonator "put to bed". And, might I add my humble opinion, the best one in some time. Great job to all involved, and many thanks!
bobwhitman

Re: Resonator

Post by bobwhitman »

Thanks for the kind comments, Matt. Seemed like this issue was doomed from limited input, but we had a terrific response after I whined about it!

I’m continually impressed with the variety and quality of material y’all provide us with. From your youthful experiences to those of your grandchildren, clever tech tips, Hodaka history and cool road trips.

You guys are the best!!!
Bob
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

None of this could happen without you, Bob. The Resonator is one of the greatest aspects of being a member of the Hodaka Club. I always so look forward to it and devour it in one sitting - and love it all! Thanks again, Bob!
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I love doing write-ups for the Resonator! It gives me a chance to document for my grandsons as well! That makes it more special! And they get a BIG kick out of seeing their bikes in a publication!

Big thanks to Bob & Greg for all their hard work!!! You’re helping to save history!!!!!!!! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
givergas

Post by givergas »

been a little under the weather and just finished the resonator good reading. took two speedometers apart and so the walk through was very well timed for me , i will add one thing. the trip meter knob has a little screw that holds it on. mine was rusted and the head stripped out had to drill the head out and then unscrewed it with a small vise grip. found a new screw at the local hardware store. matt it funny how things were when we were all young. we lived out of town in northern calif. my two cousins and i lived close by each other it all started with one of us getting a mini bike pretty soon all three of us had one. not to be outdone cousin # 3 went and got a new hodaka wow.... what was this, to cool, cousin #2 dragged home a ossa 175 stiletto {thats under a tarp in his dads shed} i being younger with out much means found a honda 305 { i think my grandfather traded a horse for a bunch of stuff and it came with the package ] as it tried to kill me every chance it could i found a yamaha 250 enduro stripped it down played with the gearing i could at least see the dust to follow, the hodaka got traded for a bulltaco then again for a Suzuki 400. we had a neighbor down the road with a AJS, another with a maico , and the kid around the block had beat up hondas those were the days. fast forward to a couple of years ago and in south dakota driving around a property there it was a hodaka sitting out leaning against a old bulldozer and thats how it all came back for me . again thanks for the good read....albert
gearyoliver

Post by gearyoliver »

Great story Albert!
TheBevman

Post by TheBevman »

Givergas, sorry to hear your not feeling well but your obviously still productive. I'm glad to hear you were able to get your speedo's apart. I wrote the article to cover the 90 and 100 speedo's w/o the trip meter. The later ones with the trip are almost the same but with knob and trip meter assembly. If you need to dig deeper into the odo assembly pay particular attention to the small brass gears between the numbered wheels, as stated in the article. Also, are you going to be separating the top-plate from the frame?

Bev
'72 Wombat (94)
'68 ACE 100 (Project with the kids)
'65 ACE 90? (Frame)
'66 Triumph Bonneville
'99 Triumph Adventurer
'66 Ace 90/100- Dirt only
givergas

Post by givergas »

i didnt need to go to far in to them. the 03 speedo was filled with rust and the B+ i needed to make sure it was freed up. the articles are like having somebody next to you to keep you from screwing up
Attachments
IMG_9781.JPG
IMG_9762.JPG
TheBevman

Post by TheBevman »

I'm glad the article's been helpful to you and... Wow!!!! That speedo is really clean. Great job.

Bev
'72 Wombat (94)
'68 ACE 100 (Project with the kids)
'65 ACE 90? (Frame)
'66 Triumph Bonneville
'99 Triumph Adventurer
'66 Ace 90/100- Dirt only
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Thanks for the kind words, Giver. I'd bet 90% of the people who read The Resonator have a story just like yours and mine. I feel kinda sad kids these days can't grow up in the world we occupied when we were young (and bullet-proof). It seems we had a lot more fun compared to what kids are into these days. WOW! What a classic fuddyduddy line.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

matt glascock wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:43 pm I feel kinda sad kids these days can't grow up in the world we occupied when we were young (and bullet-proof). It seems we had a lot more fun compared to what kids are into these days. WOW! What a classic fuddyduddy line.
Yes Matt that’s a for sure thing!!! Could you imagine staying home playing video games instead of getting out on your own or with a few friends? To ride through the woods or race around a field at a school?

Or finding a gas line right of way with 7 hills in it and the return last hill being a damn nice jump which required you to land and brake slide into a bar ditch and gas it down a dirt road so you didn’t crash?

Or how about finding a 20 foot high saw dust pile in the middle of the woods and 4 or 5 of you and your buddies trying to be the first one to make it to the top?!!!!

How about racing a trail through the woods trying to be the first to the bar ditch, and hopefully not last, so you could wait with your rear tire in the muck, mud & snow to spin your rear tire at the others when they approached!?!?! And you sure didn’t want to come in 5th!!!!

These are some of my personal memories from the past! Riding with school mates & neighbors! Helping each other fix a bike when one went down & needed repair! Mowing lawns and cutting & selling firewood so you could by a used bike to experiment on??? Ahhh yeah, much better than playing Fortnight all day on line because you can’t go to school!!! :ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

FORTNIGHT!!! AAArgh! That is the bane of my existence. My daughters spend hours on that crap. You are exactly right Victor. Great recollections, by the way. We may live a thousand miles away, but we sure chewed the same dirt.