Wombat pipe on 100B+

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
JPark

Wombat pipe on 100B+

Post by JPark »

Is it possible to fit a later style 94 pipe on a 100B+ in place of the Flamethrower, and would there be any advantage? I'm more concerned with noise than peak power. I'm willing to do some bracket surgery if needed. I suspect that the 94a pipe would be thicker wall and heavier.
Summerland, B.C.
TheBevman

Re: Wombat pipe on 100B+

Post by TheBevman »

JPark,
The 125 exhaust nut won't fit a 100 cylinder. However if your handy with a hacksaw and a welder or oxy/ace unit I think you could make it work. I can tell you that the 100 and 125 flamethrower pipes are the same other than the tubing leading up to the cylinder.

Bev
'72 Wombat (94)
'68 ACE 100 (Project with the kids)
'65 ACE 90? (Frame)
'66 Triumph Bonneville
'99 Triumph Adventurer
'66 Ace 90/100- Dirt only
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

You may have better luck with a 96 DS pipe with the head nut size. If you want to see the inside of one of these pipe check out my video.
https://youtu.be/5hWvdRAGw3E
JPark

Post by JPark »

Watched the video. What is the purpose of the mesh liner in the pipe?

The DS pipe looks like a fit to the cylinder and the rest can be made to work. Is it quieter?
Summerland, B.C.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

The mesh on the inside is there to provide "damping" of vibration of the steel walls of the pipe for noise reduction. Often called "oil canning" - the vibrating walls of the pipe were significant contributors of noise output. The mesh was relatively low cost, relatively easy to add at production time and worked well. Nifty.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!