Ace 100 air cleaner

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Camman

Ace 100 air cleaner

Post by Camman »

Hi gang, I have been restoring this 1968 Ace, thinking all along the nearly new air cleaner I obtained in a parts lot would fit. Well I am still learning about the older frame and discovered today during assembly there is a small loop Channel on this frame that get in the way of the later air cleaner bracket. So what is the loop for? Could cut it off and it looks like the later air cleaner will fit. Has anyone done this modification to the early Ace frame? Thank you.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
-Chris
Dale

Re: Ace 100 air cleaner

Post by Dale »

The loop is the mount for the older style air cleaner. Here is a picture showing the bolt running through the loop to secure the canister. I can see how it would be in the way for the Ace 100 style air cleaner.
DSC02099.JPG
Dale
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Looks like a early 90 frame, also there is not a bracket for your coil. Clarence
Camman

Post by Camman »

Yes I forgot this is an Ace 90 frame number. Thanks for the picture. Guess I need a 90 air cleaner and bracket. Hope the alignment mounts up to the 100 engine okay. :roll:
-Chris
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

The ace 100 air cleaner was a improvement, the ace 90 air cleaner brackets would break with a lot of use. also there was a racing bracket that would hold the ace 100 coil. Looks like very nice work. You could cut the loop bracket off the frame and use the 100 cleaner. Clarence
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

Clarence, did you find a air cleaner, either ACE 90 or ACE 100, I have both, one has little brackets that fit the lop on your frame part, ACE 90 short one. You can use a Ace 100 length air cleaner but you would have to cut off ACE 90 little frame bracket and fit an ACE 100 cup type mount in place, the air cleaner mounts into the cup mount using a cool spring to hold the cleaner. Just let me know. I could bring to HOdaka days for you. Bruce Young, Hodakaparts.com IDAHO
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
MWL

Post by MWL »

The frame looks great. Is that powder coat or paint? What color red is that?
Camman

Post by Camman »

Powder coat. Cardinal brand paint line. Not sure which red. There were several reds. I used an NOS battery box to match the color. Thanks for your assistance Bruce. I ordered an air cleaner assembly from Paul. Expensive but I'm going for "broke".
-Chris