Fuji motors??

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Hosk1956

Fuji motors??

Post by Hosk1956 »

OK, slightly of topic about Hodaka's, but my first bike back in 1973 was a 80cc Deckson Eagle, from that I graduated up to Wombat's.
I had always held a dream to get another Deckson Eagle and it looks like my dream has come true! A pretty complete Eagle has come my way.
I am curious to know if anyone has an intimate knowledge of the early Fuji motors, I have always led to believe they were virtually Hodaka Ace 100 motors, but is this so, and would old Hody parts be applicable to this motor.
For the technically inclined, the motor was a Fuji F480/BE80F.

Wayne from Oz
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: Fuji motors??

Post by Bullfrog »

While the physical appearance of the Fuji F480 engine is remarkably like the Hodaka engine - they are different animals. I don't know of a single part which is interchangeable between the two engines.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Hosk1956

Post by Hosk1956 »

Thank you Ed, as said, I have been led to believe but I have always been a doubter.
A bit like the chinese trail bikes we get down here that look like Honda SL100's, even had a friend buy one because the salesman told him you can get spare parts from Honda!
I just hope the engine internals are ok on this bike or it might be a very challenging restoration!

Wayne from Oz
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

If you do need motor parts I can forward you a phone number to a parts guy in Pennsylvania.
Hosk1956

Post by Hosk1956 »

Thank you thrownchain, fingers crossed but it will be some months away before I know, the motor has compression but not surprisingly doesn't run so will have to split the case and replace seals for sure.

Wayne from Oz
Hosk1956

Post by Hosk1956 »

Just an update on this little project, all is going very well and I am pretty pleased so far.
-When I got her she was locked in gear, pulled the side cover and found a pull shaft exactly like the bigger Hodaka's, the bike cycled thru the gears nicely.
-Pulled the shift mechanism apart which was once again exactly like the Hodaka's, cleaned and greased all that, and that also clicks thru the gears with no sign of wear, I now have 4 speeds available!
-Cleaned the carby out, surprisingly clean and fortunately was full of oil, no water in sight.
-Pulled the head and the bore is good, no excess piston slap but can't see the rings, I know it has pretty good compression.
-Checked for spark, voila, a great spark.
-Drained the oil and it was pretty clear, no filings but it had sedimented in the crank case base so flushed that out.
-Been trying to find a replacement fuel tap with little success, and one was right under my nose! the 250ED tap is exactly the same I need, so till I get another tap I will use the Thunderdogs tap!
So this weekend I will repair the throttle cable and rig up a kill switch as the ignition switch is cactus and see if it will start, I am quietly confident. I also gained a Dirt Squirt for the stable last weekend so the Hody's will have to line up for a family photo!
Full restoration is still some way of yet.

Wayne from Oz
20190720_113617.jpg
20190720_113525.jpg
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Looks like a license plate holder, speedo, and horn. Was that add-on stuff or is the bike streetable as sold? For some reason, I thought those were trail/off-road machines. Cool ride!
Hosk1956

Post by Hosk1956 »

Yes, fully registerable in South Australia, came with indicators as well.
This is pride and joy back then.
This is me as a 17 year old back in 1974.
I plan on registering this little girl when she is going.

Wayne from Oz.
FB_IMG_1562426429926-1.jpg
FB_IMG_1562426429926-1.jpg (94.06 KiB) Viewed 2646 times
FB_IMG_1562426406530.jpg
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

That's not a bike, Wayne. That's a full-blown TIME MACHINE. When I found a 1972 Super Rat basket case years ago, the first time I heard it run, it took me back 40 years in the blink of an eye.
Hosk1956

Post by Hosk1956 »

thrownchain wrote:If you do need motor parts I can forward you a phone number to a parts guy in Pennsylvania.
I might need that number mate, looks like I might be needing some rings at least!
Can you PM me any contact details you have?

Wayne from Oz
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

John, 412-400-0058. He's in Pennsylvania. Has quite the parts stash for Fuji motors.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Making progress?
Bruce Young

Post by Bruce Young »

I agree with thrownchain, the person is Penn has all kinds of parts and a great knowledge of Fuji motor parts, and as Ed said the parts from Fuji and Hodaka look similar, but will not interchange. Bruce Young
Bruce Young - HodakaPartsIdaho
Hosk1956

Post by Hosk1956 »

Has the man in Penn got an email address or trade name, phone calls can be costly and expensive from Australia.

Wayne from Oz