I HAVE A FRAME

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
dirtsquirt74

I HAVE A FRAME

Post by dirtsquirt74 »

I pulled a model 97 frame from a barn in the local community a few years ago. Although I have been sumwhat connected with the Hodaka Community since 1960, I have never riden a Super Combat. My question is whether the frames on the Wombats are generally the same? I am currently riding a model 94. Would the handling of the model 97 be much different? Thinking about using the model 97 frame to make a street legal trail bike. Would using that frame be a mistake or are all Wombat frames about the same?

Richard Schwarz
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Re: I HAVE A FRAME

Post by Bullfrog »

Hmmm, not major differences in handling . . . but differences. Model 97 frame places the engine higher in the frame by a bit to make room for the low pipe. Low pipe makes more sense (to me) on a street bike than it did on a dirt bike (my 2 cents). However, having the engine higher in the frame is going the wrong way -- but the center-of-gravity effects will be hard for mere mortals to sense on a general street legal trail bike. The model 97 swing arm pivot with greased metal bushings should be more precise in cornering than the rubber "lord mount" type swing arm pivots of the model 94 - so long as the maintenance is good. But again, it would probably take an expert rider pushing things to the limit to notice the difference. ?? Perhaps a bigger consideration would be going to license a machine with a VIN plate which states something like, "This is an off-road motorcycle not intended for use on public streets . . . "???
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!