HEAD BOLT TORQUE for copper gasket

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
motovate

HEAD BOLT TORQUE for copper gasket

Post by motovate »

I know this has been discussed before & I even ask the question before - but I can not remember for sure and even though I did try a Head Bolt Torque search - there is just too much about Torque pipes to sift through.

I did find the box I got the copper head gasket for my 01 Squirt engine and I have 2 notes. 170 inch lbs stock in the book & circled 250 inch lbs circled. I think the 250 inch lbs came from Capt. Eddy in a previous discussion.

I just want to reaffirm that 250 inch lbs for the copper head gasket is the way to go???

Appreciate any input.

LBM :mrgreen:
taber hodaka

Re: HEAD BOLT TORQUE for copper gasket

Post by taber hodaka »

I don't think it differs with head gasket. The book answer is 170 I believe. ---------------Clarence
Dale

Post by Dale »

170 for iron cylinders and up to 250 for the alumuferric cylinders.
Dale
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Dale nailed it. Stick with the factory recommended 170 in-lb torque for iron cylinder Wombats (partly due to the narrow sections of the iron Wombat base gasket) - regardless of whether a copper or aluminum head gasket is used.

Loooooonnnnnnngggggggg after production ended, Harry Taylor tested and approved higher torque specs for the alloy cylinder 125cc engines. 250 in-lbs is good . . . again, regardless of which type of head gasket is used.

Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
motovate

Post by motovate »

So - the 100cc 01 Dirt squirt is an Iron Cyl - Stick with the 170 inch lbs or 14 foot lbs?????
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

No, the Model 01 Dirt Squirt has an alloy cylinder (same as the Model 99 and 02 Road Toads) - so you can use the 250 in-lb spec for head nuts. (8mm cylinder studs)

The Model 96 (92C) chrome tank Dirt Squirt has the ACE style (iron cylinder) engine so it uses the earlier 105 in-lb torque spec for the head nuts. (6mm cylinder studs)
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
motovate

Post by motovate »

OK - makes sense now as to why I wrote down the 250 inch lbs - which I compute to be 20 foot lbs. So - a little bit off topic -I have been searching for click style inch pound torque wrenches and mostly find 250 inch lbs to be the max on 1/4" click style wrenches. Not sure why I need one since I have a 3/8 drive click style in foot pounds but I like tools. Have any thoughts in beam style vs click style torque wrenches???