Build Up A Parts Stash!

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Joe Ormonde

Build Up A Parts Stash!

Post by Joe Ormonde »

Whatever Hodaka that you have, if you intend to keep it, build up a PARTS STASH. When Hodaka went out of business it was MISERABLE locating parts. Sprockets. Good luck finding the offset ones. Now, we have the Internet. Back then we had a Telephone and all you heard was You need a what for a what? Then you would hear the guy call out Anyone know where to find a Counter Shaft Sprocket for a 1971 Super Rat? A What? A SUPER RAT! What`s that? No. Sorry. Try a Cycle Salvage. Click. And it`s going to happen again. There aren`t many Main Shafts for a Super Combat out there. There is one on EBAY but it`s so rusted up I wouldn`t buy it. Clutch Primaries. Same thing. Sure you can swap in another model transmission but the Close Ratio Transmission makes it SUPER. I have a Pristine Super Combat Main Shaft but i`m keeping it for a project that may never take place. Pistons. Terry at HPI has tons of Model 93 Pistons and rings but it looks like the Model 92 96 stuff is in a sad state. That`s why I Rathole so much stuff! No more hunting down parts. Now I have spare parts for the spare Engines for my Super Rat. Just how bad do you want to keep your Hodaka ? Mine is the Family Pet! Joe Ormonde.
thrownchain

Re: Build Up A Parts Stash!

Post by thrownchain »

The type and quantity of parts you stash is directly tied to how you use the bike. If you're racing then yes, spares are necessary and prudent to have. If it's a part time rider, or garage queen then you have a need for less parts as it's not gonna need them if you're not wearing them out. Not that you can't buy up whatever you can find and share them with your friends. Barter is a good word to keep old bikes running
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

I pick up anything Hodaka I come across regardless of what it is. Keeps it in the community and prevents the stuff from dying a lonely death in the bottom of a milk crate or land fill.
Al Harpster

Post by Al Harpster »

Story in the Hodaka book created by Paul Standard says a vast inventory of Hodaka parts were obtained by a firm called "Wheels Of Time".

This firm also bought the rights to the Hodaka name. Paul Standard reported that he bought the rights to the Hodaka name from Wheels Of Time.

According to the book, 8 car loads of parts were stored in an out-of-business bowling alley by Wheels Of Time.

Bowling alley burned down.

First, I don't know what constitutes a car load.

Second, it would be interesting to hear more about that fire.

Third, it would be interesting to know how the total volume of parts shipped from Japan, after being distributed all over the US, were consolidated in one de-funct bowling alley.

My friends, that's a story. I wish the Hodaka book could have told more about that.

Seems to me, that story is the source of the parts "problem" we face.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

That fire may have been the demise of some pretty cool prototype projects and (sob) the Harry Taylor Daytona bike.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Years ago I purchased many manuals and parts some labeled wheels of Time. More in depth information than I had seen before. The logo pictured a motorcycle wheel shaped like a pocket watch with the time showing 1:00 o clock. The date on one of the price lists November 15, 1979. A piston 9901500 was $11.72 to the dealer and $23.43 to the customer. The address to the business was Island Route Box 7-A, Lock Haven, Penn 17745 Phone 717-748-9531. Letters from Bills HODAKA SALES, Highway 22 West, Mexico Missouri 675265 phone 314-581-3959. April 7, 1981. Years ago thousands of dollars worth of parts and manuals were stolen from me. They should be out there for someone to enjoy. I need to take a break, recovering from surgery ------Clarence
PS as a past hodaka dealer back in the time we were told a whole boat load of parts were produced and shipped before the factory shut down.
JackM

Post by JackM »

Some of you on here might be able to help me make a decision. I built one running model 97 super combat from two bikes, one of them in fair condition, the other in poor condition. After sorting everything out, I now have a decent 97. I still have almost enough parts to build another 97, but the motor needs a complete rebuild. Looks like I'll have at least $600.00 in it alone, plus it needs two forks, a rear fender, tires/tubes etc. Been having trouble finding front forks. I've considered just selling the parts, but I cant bring myself to do it. If the cylinder is too far gone to over-bore (has a fairly deep gouge) I may need one of them too. (Terry has a new one for $1000.00) but that is out of the question. Any comments appreciated. JackM
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

I think you answered your own question. If putting it together is going to cost more than you're willing to spend, may be an idea to sell to someone else and let them make it their project. Or save it for parts.
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

Al Harpster wrote:Story in the Hodaka book created by Paul Standard says a vast inventory of Hodaka parts were obtained by a firm called "Wheels Of Time".

This firm also bought the rights to the Hodaka name. Paul Standard reported that he bought the rights to the Hodaka name from Wheels Of Time.

According to the book, 8 car loads of parts were stored in an out-of-business bowling alley by Wheels Of Time.

Bowling alley burned down.

First, I don't know what constitutes a car load.

Second, it would be interesting to hear more about that fire.

Third, it would be interesting to know how the total volume of parts shipped from Japan, after being distributed all over the US, were consolidated in one de-funct bowling alley.

My friends, that's a story. I wish the Hodaka book could have told more about that.

Seems to me, that story is the source of the parts "problem" we face.
What book was this story in? I would like to read it.
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Page 36 of the Hodaka "bible".
socalhodaka

Post by socalhodaka »

matt glascock wrote:Page 36 of the Hodaka "bible".
Do you mean the Ken Smith book?
matt glascock

Post by matt glascock »

Yes
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

I've been building up a parts stash for years. Today I bought a CW piston and control shaft assy I found listed on Kijiji. I also acquired the remains of a local dealers inventory. Having a good stash of parts means that if I see a rough Hodaka selling cheap, I will often have enough parts to bring it back from the dead for a reasonable cost. I buy common bearings and seals from a local supplier and keep a few extra on hand. I also buy common hardware like engine mounts, case screws, washers, nuts, grommets, etc from a bulk hardware retailer in boxes of 50 or 100. Same goes with Hodaka suppliers, I often buy extra gaskets and other consumables so that I have them on hand. I once bought a CW that was really rough and missing the engine for $200, but strangely enough it had mint condition front and rear fenders. I already had a motor for it sitting in the basement that I had picked up along with another stash of parts, so now I have almost enough parts to make a running CW.

Brian
Makotosun

Post by Makotosun »

The larger problem is when you have several Marques you collect :)

I’ve been collecting various Yamaha bits since 04, and only the Hodaka stuff since about 2007 when I first attended Hodaka Days. Now I have at least 8 carcasses and a pile of tanks, fenders and misc., most acquired in the process of building my son’s Combat. That stash resulted in two more bIke builds alone.

Then there are the Honda mini’s. But I digress. If you collect one old bike, it will cause others to find you, so you may as well start ollecting the parts you will inevitably need when your neighbor gives you the barn find from his deceased father-in-law, because he knows you like old junk bikes . . .
"If you can't fix it with a hammer, then it's an electrical problem"
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."
"You can tell a professional by the lack of wrinkles in his duct tape . . ."
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

It seems to me that MOST of the older Super Rats like mine are being resurrected and just sit. Sure, if it`s just going to gather dust well then that`s it. But, if you ride it and everyone else does too that`s a different story. I had ZERO connections for parts when Hodaka was no more and now I do. NICE! At this moment, I`m rebuilding my extra Shifter Covers. Why? Just to have a spare. That way I can keep my pet Rat up and running. No need to pull parts off my spare engines. Why a spare engine? Years ago my brother was out riding with his friend Henry. Here comes Henry. Something broke in the transmission on the Super Rat and Frank wants to know if you can come and get him. To make a long story shorter, Frank had the bike in First gear with the Clutch pulled in and the Throttle Pinned and the Clutch cable broke. It wasn`t what parts needed to be replaced, it was what I could salvage. The Right side center case was Split from the bottom to about 1/2 inch from the top. All 4 screws on the outer clutch cover were bent. That was when I knew things were bad. I had 2 piles of parts: One Good pile and one junk pile. The Crank Shaft shifted on the lower pin so that had to be fixed . ALL 7 Clutch screws were bent. The Barnett Clutch plates held up pretty good! The Primary Gears DID NOT GET DAMAGED and are in the bike at this time! Fantastic! Internally, EVERY gear was wrecked EXCEPT for the Kick Gear. It was a Model 91 Transmission. The Counter Shaft was BENT in between second and third gear. Need I continue? That `s why I say BUILD A PARTS STASH! Joe Ormonde.
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

Joe Ormonde! I just turned down a good SC on Facebook yesterday. The guy, Michael is out of Chicago area. He was willing to trade it to me for a 1970 Ace B I acquired this Summer. PM me if you want his info!

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100
1966 Ace 90
; D Victor
viclioce

Post by viclioce »

I was cleaning the garage today. I have a spare chain guard for the Model 99/02/03 varieties, a spare Ace chain guard, two Model 99 rear fenders, 3 Ace inner cases with gears and clutch packs, a (leaky) Red Model 99 tank, and an entire disassembled Ace 100B! Also have extra tranny gears, lots of loose nuts & bolts, and a prized set of Model 03 turn signals & a harness yet to be mounted (they will be! Laters). And I have a box full of stuff that isn’t even included in that list!

Been thinking about working a swap of that Ace 100 B for someone who has a similar Wombat they would like to trade.

:ugeek: Victor

1978 175SL
1976 03 Wombat
1975 99 Road Toad (2)
1973 96 Dirt Squirt (2)
1973 “Wombat Combat”
1973 Combat Wombat
1972 94 Wombat (2)
1972 Super Squirt
1971 92B+ Ace
1970 92B Ace 100B (2)
1968 92 Ace 100