MY 1972 HODAKA STEEN

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
dirtsquirt74

MY 1972 HODAKA STEEN

Post by dirtsquirt74 »

I have a stock Hodaka Steen that I seemingly cannot sell or trade. Thinking about turning it into a trail bike this winter. The wheels are just too small and the tank has too little gas capacity. Any suggestions on wheel or gas tank replacements. Thinking I have some wheels from a model 94 Wombat under the bench. Could they be used on the Steen without an act of congress? Hummm!

Richard Schwarz
thrownchain

Re: MY 1972 HODAKA STEEN

Post by thrownchain »

Post some pics and location.
dirtsquirt74

Post by dirtsquirt74 »

I have photos but don't have a clue on how to post them. Quite frankly, I have given up on trying to sell it. So here is the edited question. Will the model 94 tripple tree fit on the Steen frame without an act of congress? Then the followup question is whether the 300 X 18 Wombat rear wheel will fit in the Steen swingarm?

Richard Schwarz
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

You can send me pics at my screen name @yahoo.com. You'll have to experiment with wheels and front end, but with the size of the frame and the size of the parts you want to use, it may look slightly odd as well as not work really well. You want to put full size wheels and front end on a mini bike.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Richard what part of the country are you from. --------------- Clarence
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

He's in Walla Walla.
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

I doubt the Wombat rear wheel will fit as the stock 16" wheel is very close to touching the swingarm at the front. Also, when the shocks are compressed, the tire would probably hit the rear fender (not a good thing for the transmission).

I doubt the forks would be an easy fit as the Hodaka used loose ball bearings in races pressed into the steering head. The Steen's I have seen have roller bearings in the steering head. I doubt the outside diameter of the bearings are the same size as the races used for the Hodaka forks. Plus, the Hodaka forks are much longer and would give the bike a "Chopper" stance.