VM20 Ace Carb

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
JackM

Re: VM20 Ace Carb

Post by JackM »

I talked to Terry today and asked him about the inlet manifold part mentioned above. Looks like it would be more trouble than its worth to go that route, but he did tell me they may have carbs available in the not-to-far-off future. Here's hoping. Meanwhile, my model 97 has an oil leak somewhere around the counter shaft, so its time to look into that.
rlkarren

Post by rlkarren »

It wouldn't be difficult nor cost prohibitive to fabricate your own VM22 intake manifold from an existing VM20 manifold.

Theoretically, cut off the flange of the manifold, replace it with new aluminum stock, drill/shape the holes, (use the old flange for the location and shape of the intake cavity), have your favorite welder weld the two pieces together, clean up with dremel. Or, you could just have your favorite welder fill in existing mounting holes, add more material to accept the larger carb mount and drill new mounting holes. Probably less than $50.

(I hope I have followed the discussion correctly)

$0.02

Roger
JackM

Post by JackM »

Roger, I suppose I could do it that way, but I'm going to wait and see what Terry comes up with. I just want to keep it simple. Maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll find the right carb before then. Thanks.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

jack what carb are you looking for? -----------Clarence
JackM

Post by JackM »

Clarence, I'm lookinf for an original 20mm carb for my Ace100b+. The mounting flange holes on the new mikunis are about 10mm too wide for the stock manifold.
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

If nothing else, you could use a Model 93 Super Rat (or model 94 Wombat) manifold and drill two new mounting holes into the end that mounts to the cylinder (between the 4 holes used on the Super Rat or Wombat). I believe the carb mounting bolts are around 49mm wide. I have seen people use these manifolds on Ace cylinders with 24mm carbs.

Just a thought.
JackM

Post by JackM »

Thanks for your input guys, but I'm going back to plan A and use the reed valve set-up. The original parts, (carb, piston, etc.) seem too hard to come by so I'll just use the parts I have, throw it together, and see what happens. This project has been going, off and on, for over a year now, with nothing to show for it. Time to move on.
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

Webco made a Intake manifold to adapt a VM 24 and VM 26 to the ACE 90 and ACE 100. I sold 2 to a guy from Monrovia that were Raw Undrilled castings. There is one for sale on EBAY right now. The seller has no idea what it is. Type in WEBCO. $20.00 bid, $12.90 Shipping. Just contact the seller for more info. I`m 99% sure it`s for a Hodaka.