94 Wombat - Exhaust Pipe/Nut/Gasket Questions

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Simonkav

94 Wombat - Exhaust Pipe/Nut/Gasket Questions

Post by Simonkav »

What is the proper stack for installing the exhaust pipe? I have a pipe that is slightly flared on the end, albeit unevenly. It mates fairly well with the exhaust port. I have an exhaust nut that with some wriggling will slide over the flared end onto the pipe. I have the exhaust gasket.

Is the gasket supposed to sit between the pipe and the exhaust port? Or is it supposed to slide over onto the pipe and crush between the nut and the back of the flare?

Any tips on getting this to seal up tight? It seems even tightening the exhaust night very tight, the pipe still has some movement in it.

Thanks,
Simon
racerclam

Re: 94 Wombat - Exhaust Pipe/Nut/Gasket Questions

Post by racerclam »

gasket goes againt the cylinder

Rich
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Something doesn't sound right. If the head pipe has a flared end, the exhaust nut is supposed to be "captive" (can't be removed from the pipe). Is your Wombat pipe the "flame thrower" shaped early model? If so, the nut should be "captive". Since the exhaust nut can be wiggled over the flair, there is an indication that the flare has been ground down or damaged in some way . . . and the nut won't press the flare against the gasket properly.

However, since the later pipe had a loose exhaust nut which essentially just provided a slip fit manifold - and the springs and other mount points held the pipe in full register with the manifold/nut - there isn't any practical reason why the "flame thrower" exhaust couldn't be mounted up in the same way.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
Simonkav

Post by Simonkav »

Bullfrog,
That was my concern, that the nut shouldn't escape over the flared end of the pipe. The flared end certainly isn't even all around. like it was ground down or straightened in parts. I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if it works it's way out from the nut.

As always, thanks for the input.

-Simon