HD first timers!

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
Beeker

HD first timers!

Post by Beeker »

Hello everyone, Oregon native in Eugene. Bought a 99 road toad a couple months ago and decided to make the Bad Rock ride a priority this year. Things were looking pretty good for the Toad until I put gas in it....Huge hole near the tank mount after de-rusting it. On a tight budget so I'm going to try a couple things. But if push comes to shove, I'll be sporting my '71 Suzuki TC90 to avoid burning Toady legs. Picking up my friend in Vancouver who is running a Bultaco. Really not wanting to be the new kids with non-Hodakas, but at least they ring-ding and smoke. Hoping to add this event to our vintage enduro calendar for many years to come.
Last edited by Beeker on Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dale

Re: HD first timers!

Post by Dale »

Bring both bikes. There would be a good chance that you could purchase a fuel tank in the park before the ride on Friday. Otherwise, your Suzuki and Bultaco are just fine on the Bad Rock! I believe that the only rules regarding bikes on the Bad Rock are 250cc or less, twin shocks and drum brakes. Welcome.
Dale
bobwhitman

Post by bobwhitman »

Beeker-
I'm in Eugene, might be able to help you get the toad operable for HD'18. Call me
Bob 541-954-0101
gearyoliver

Post by gearyoliver »

Bob, we are staying at KOA. Arriving Thursday evening. I can bring a spare orange tank that you can use if all else fails.
Beeker

Post by Beeker »

Bob-
I bought a three step tank liner kit that has been curing over night. There were more holes than I realized too. I'll let you know the results possibly tonight.
Geary, ddvorak-
I feel I need to at least run this thing around the neighborhood since I've only heard start and idle briefly. But that's all you really need to know before going on a 50+ mile ride through the countryside right?

Thanks for the willingness to help make this happen. I'll post an update tonight after I get home from work and assess the repair.
gearyoliver

Post by gearyoliver »

Lol, If we get to meet do I have a 50 mile story for you!
Attachments
390.jpg
Beeker

Post by Beeker »

I dig it. My buddy in Newport is fixing up a Husky like that. Keep an eye out for two newbs in a blue patina'd '85 4x4 King Cab. I'd take you up on the story. Counting the hours to get home and see how the tank is doing.
Beeker

Post by Beeker »

Apart from a couple stalagtites, the tank coating came out okay. Mounted and filled with premix. Starts and idles okay. Riding up and down the street was definitely getting me in the mood. Only real issue is that it cuts out when you give it too much throttle too quickly. It pops out the exhaust when this happens. I'm going to throw a fresh plug in it tomorrow. Looks like I'll be cramming three bikes in the ol'king cab!
gearyoliver

Post by gearyoliver »

Cool, I will be hanging around.
Beeker

Re: HD first timers! And now a camping question

Post by Beeker »

New plug definitely made it a bit crisper. Took it through neighborhood a bit farther and checked the plug. Mixture looks pretty good, but I may have to put more miles on it to be sure. A question I had about camping... Will we be hard pressed to find a couple tent spots after the Bad Rock? Originally we were going to stop somewhere halfway between Weston and Portland Thursday night, then bomb out to Weston in the morning to catch the ride first.
thrownchain

Re: HD first timers! And now a HD camping question..

Post by thrownchain »

A few people pitch their tents right in the park in Athena. Short ride up to the start of the ride.
Beeker

Post by Beeker »

20180620_200553.jpg
Just have to finish some things at work in Albany tomorrow, then I'll be on my way.
gearyoliver

Post by gearyoliver »

Looked around but missed you guys. Hope you had fun! I sure did.
Bill2001

Post by Bill2001 »

HD? Harley Davidson??
Keepin' the Shiny Side up
on a '72 Wombat 94

--Bill
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Heavy Duty
Beeker

Post by Beeker »

Gearyoliver, we had a lot of fun. The toad didn't make it far, but my backup '71 Suzuki 90 saved the day. I stopped and chatted with the trials riders during the Bad Rock. They convinced me to give it a go. 6th outta 8 in the novice class was a success in my book.
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Now that you're done being a first timer, any plans to make it a regular trip?
Beeker

Post by Beeker »

thrownchain wrote:Now that you're done being a first timer, any plans to make it a regular trip?
Sorry for the delay.... Yes I will be coming back. That Bad rock ride is a nice Teaser for the vintage campout/ride I have with some friends later in the season.