Front Disc Brakes?

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
motovate

Front Disc Brakes?

Post by motovate »

It might be sacrilegious but - - - Has any one put a front disc brake on the front of a Wombat????? If so what did you use - wheel - disc - master cyl , caliper???

I know it's not legal to race. Just wondering. Might be more trouble then it's worth but might be interesting!

LBM
thrownchain

Re: Front Disc Brakes?

Post by thrownchain »

Your best bet for a disc brake conversion is to find a complete disc front end and adapt it. For example a friend of mine builds street bikes and his go to front end to upgrade is the Yamaha 650. He makes the steering bearing modifications and bolts the triple trees up, then adds the rest. So everything from the wheel up to the handlebars is ready to go. If you can find a complete "dirt" style front end adapt it, that would be the way to go.
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

disc brakes on both ends , I used a 1985 Honda XL350 front end and a 1989YZ 250 back end on my Hodaka 175 frame 250 . Where there is a will there is a way.

Rich
Attachments
100_1497.JPG
100_1501.JPG
100_1499.JPG
dirty_rat

Post by dirty_rat »

What are you all doing about the triple tree mounting? I know most front ends with a disc brake also have tapered bearings in their triple trees. How do you convert them to work with the Hodaka's steering head (which all were made to use ball bearings)?
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

I used the tapered bearings and had to shim the race to make fit, also had to modify the stem for correct length. All one needs id a bunch of misc parts for trial fit and modify as necessary. No specifics, the swing arm was the hard part

Rich
motovate

Post by motovate »

Thanks Rich - always a way with your skills. Looks Cool! LBM
racerclam

Post by racerclam »

your welcome , it will be cool to hear what you come up with

Rich