Need help dating this Odd 90

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
TheBevman

Need help dating this Odd 90

Post by TheBevman »

Hello all,
Yesterday my daughter and I scored an Ace 90, w/ a 100 motor along with 2 spare 100 engines (1 frozen and 1 free) and some nice sheet metal.

Here’s my predicament, the 90 only came with a bill of sale and the guy I bought it from had little info. The frame # is A1001*, which would put it in the ‘64-66 range. I’d like to get a solid year of manufacture so I can get a Bonded Title. I’m thinking that’s my best hope of making it legal.

I don’t believe it’s stolen, just one of the many bikes that got sold on and the paperwork was lost. is gonna be a play bike for the kids so I’d like to reg it as an off-road only bike. And yes, The PO put the fenders on... and it’s a bit of a hodgepodge.
Attachments
I know, It’s tough to look at.
I know, It’s tough to look at.
'72 Wombat (94)
'68 ACE 100 (Project with the kids)
'65 ACE 90? (Frame)
'66 Triumph Bonneville
'99 Triumph Adventurer
'66 Ace 90/100- Dirt only
go_hercules

Re: Need help dating this Odd 90

Post by go_hercules »

I don't have an answer but just had to say those fenders are hilarious !!!!!!
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

The ace 90 would have been manufactured about the end of October 1964, By the time it was crated, shipped, Warehoused, shipped to a distributor, sent to dealer, floored and bought by the customer it would have been licensed in 1965. --------------Clarence
TheBevman

Post by TheBevman »

Thank you Clarence. That’s the information I was hoping for.

Definitely the wrong shade of lipstick on this little pig. Not sure why they put those fenders on it but they are in good shape, might be able to trade them on, but whom ever did sprung for stainless hardware to mount them.

It’s functional as is, has spark and compression. Need to replace the seals and bearings for peace of mind and do the vac/ pres Test as well as check the piston and bore. Clutch might need a check too. Other than that a general cleaning.

On a related note, anyone have 2 complete 100 filter and mounts they wouldn’t mind parting with?

Thanks.
Bev
Last edited by TheBevman on Sun May 20, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'72 Wombat (94)
'65 ACE 90? (Frame)
'66 Triumph Bonneville
'99 Triumph Adventurer
squid on a 300

Post by squid on a 300 »

Interesting saddle also..looks real comfy...custom like the fenders?
TheBevman

Post by TheBevman »

Well, it took a bit of patience and foot work but that Odd 90 is now legally mine. I think my case was simpler than most because no one had any record of this little bike, however it really helped it's a cute little bike and it looked just like the picture above. I think they felt sorry for it. Any way, I figure I'd tell the tale incase anyone else in CA may have to go through the process in the future.

1. Make sure you get a signed Bill of Sale from the seller. It needs to be legible and the more info the better. Basically you need the bikes Vin# (Engine# too in CA), seller's name printed, date of purchase and the sum you bought it for. I had the seller include his address too, just to be safe.

2. Fill out DMV Forms:
REG 343- Application for Title or Registration
REG 256- Statement of Facts- On this form you need to "State the Facts" as it were and make sure you put "To the best of my knowledge there are no liens or claims against this vehicle."

3. Take the above forms, Bill of Sale and vehicle to the DMV to get the VIV verified. While doing this remain calm and repeat the mantra "you catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar" to yourself to remember to stay calm. Also, you'll have to tell them if its for on or off-road reg at this point to and pay the appropriate fees.

If all you have is a Bill of Sale and the DMV says you're good then... they're gonna refer you to California Highway Patrol (CHP) to ensure they don't have anything on their books concerning the vehicle. They should give you the # of your local CHP station that will inspect and run the vehicles info, usually by appointment.

4. On your appointment day, take all your documentation to the CHP along with the vehicle to get their signature an blessing. (Repeat above mantra again) I also took my repair manual and lucky I did too as the first portion tells about changes they made according to VIN# and dates of the change and so forth... that's when I found out the bike was a 1966. That's what the officer took and I wasn't about to argue with him. So, 1966 it is.

5. If you've made it to this point then you're almost home free. You should have all your signed paperwork and be on your way to the DMV to make the vehicle official yours. Once at the DMV contain your enthusiasm and once your number is called dash up o the counter and give the nice man or woman your papers and walk away with your new registration and tags.

All in all I bought it on 5/18 and got the tags on 5/30, the date of my CHP appt. Not too shabby.
'72 Wombat (94)
'65 ACE 90? (Frame)
'66 Triumph Bonneville
'99 Triumph Adventurer