MOTOR ID

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
pfleming29

MOTOR ID

Post by pfleming29 »

I have a list of motor identifications off the web. I still can not really pin three motors I have down. I need some help.
1. # M8733 has iron cylinder alumni. Head
2. # M07636 has alumn.cylinder
3 # E24557

I think #2 is a road toad motor. # 3 a ace 100?
# 1 I don't know a ace 100 mx or super rat?
Any help would be appreciated.

Paul
thrownchain

Re: MOTOR ID

Post by thrownchain »

The "E" motor is at it's core an Ace 100 motor. The "E" prefix makes it a replacement or proprietary motor sold to Steen, Bonanza etc to use in their chassis.
pfleming29

Post by pfleming29 »

Thanks for the help
olddogs

Post by olddogs »

98 cc iron cylinders with 4 intake studs are Model 93 Suoer Rat. 98 cc Iron cylinders with 2 studs are ACE. They can be interchaned on an M case, but 4 studs would make it genuine Super Rat.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

My replacement engines were never stamped with a E. ---------Clarence
MTrat

Post by MTrat »

I have a 90 E motor I bought directly from Pabatco back in the day. I also have an ACE 100 engine with no number whatsoever. Interesting.....
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

Maybe I was wrong on the replacement issue, I have a right side case 1/2 for 125 that has no numbers, which I showed Paul and he'd never seen a blank one either.
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

Replacement case halves did not have serial numbers - so a case with no number probably came from the parts bins. I was pretty sure that all the complete engines sent out of the factory had a serial number . . . and "E" was used for complete engines which were not put into Hodaka Motorcycles at the factory.
Ed
Keep the rubber side down!
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Well I never had a right case fail. I do have engines that are not stamped and as I remember buying them from my distributor not the factory. see where I said (as I remember) that should get me off the hook. --------Clarence
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Who was your distributor Clarence. I have a guess, and it's possible he might have assembled some engines out of parts . . . I'm sure that happened IF an engine could have been assembled out of the parts bins for lower cost than buying an "E" engine. :roll:
pfleming29

Post by pfleming29 »

Thanks guys I appreciate the help. Hope to get a super rat running after this combat wombat.
Joe Ormonde

Post by Joe Ormonde »

Engine code M8733 is for a 1971 Super Rat. Hodaka and Honda both sold Blank cases but I personally don`t want anything to do with them for 1 reason: What happened to my brother Frank`s buddy Henry. I can`t ask my brother what bike it was because he died a couple of years back, but the serial numbers were missing on the engine and his bike was impounded. The serial numbers were stamped above the counter shaft and the chain took out that area of the case. No more serial Numbers. Henry`s dad had to go to court with the Shop Manual showing where the Serial Numbers were and explain what happened. A total mess!!! Joe Ormonde.
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

Ed my distributor was Gary Olsen Sport cycle in Idaho Falls Idaho. Among the best of people. -------------Clarence
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

Hmmm, I had another Distributor in mind - who was good people and would turn the world upside down to support his dealers . . . but was very well known for squeezing dimes together so hard that they pooped quarters.
Ed
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

I had never seen a E engine until well after I sold the shop. You know Ed the first time I raced against you was about 1972 at Bad Rock and you won. They sent me a trophy that belonged to John Anderson from Wise River Montana but I got it to him, I think he bought the Combat from me. --------------Clarence
Bullfrog

Post by Bullfrog »

OH! Clarence, I didn't know you were in the Bad Rock that year! Neat to know! John Anderson had a good ride! I've got the results from the Bad Rock events in the basement nostalgia repository - will have to go review those results sometime!