Hodaka Days 2018 Here We Come!

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
RickM

Hodaka Days 2018 Here We Come!

Post by RickM »

Just wanted to say that coming to Hodaka Days this year is the fulfillment of a long time wish.

As a rider of Hodakas back in the day (Ace 90 & Ace 100) I can truly say I loved those bikes. It was my daily rider, my enduro machine and trials bike all in one. Does anyone out there remember Jake Kadwell? He sold me those and other bikes over the years.

So many adventures, so many stories. You may be able to relate to this story. During a day of trail riding I had another rider, once I stopped and he caught up, ask if my Ace 100 was a 250 or bigger. I replied that it was a 100 cc. "Then you must have modified it." he said. I pointed to my replacement foot pegs (I kept sliding off the rubber.) just those. Who wouldn't love a bike like that?

So many years later even though I no longer have a dirt bike I still ride (BMW R1200RT) and my riding buddy (BMW K1600) and I are coming to take in Hodaka Days. I live in Peterborough Ontario, he's in Apsley Ontario. In round figures it will be be about 4,500 KM or 2,800 miles each way. We leave home on the 16th and arrive on the 22nd. We leave for home on the 25th.

If you notice someone fawning over your Hodaka or looking like he's lost in a time this June in Athena it may well be me recalling a memory or replaying an old story.

I can't wait!

Rick Meridew
givergas

Re: Hodaka Days 2018 Here We Come!

Post by givergas »

good for you have a safe trip and ive been listening 'ADVENTURE RIDER RADIO ' on the computer and pod casts. lots of good pointers on traveling on a bike and lots of good stories be safe albert
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

You gonna go across Canada then head south? Of gonna head south and then across the US? Interstate or "secondary " roads?
RickM

Post by RickM »

Hi thrownchain,

We will cross into the US at Sault St. Marie then head west through Michigan and ND, SD to Cooke City MT. We are taking a play day riding the Needles Hwy and Beartooth Hwy, if time allows Mt. Rushmore. So there will be a mix of riding for fun and riding for distance on the way there. Heading home will be mostly interstate highways.

Any tips are appreciated.

Rick
thrownchain

Post by thrownchain »

The only tip I might offer is to add a couple days to travel and enjoy the ride.
James McQuown

Post by James McQuown »

I live 40 miles from Athena, Or. I try and make it to Hodaka Days every year. I'm not braging. I finally found a Ace100B. A 1972.
So what I'm saying is Good For You! Enjoy the Ride! Keep looking and fins a couple Hodaka's!
taber hodaka

Post by taber hodaka »

James a picture please and what year did you purchase it. --------Clarence
RickM

Post by RickM »

Hey James, that's great! I loved my 100B! Hope you make it out and I get to see your new old bike. Does it run? Will you be in the parade? Like Clarence said please post a photo. - Rick
RickM

Post by RickM »

Hi from Cooke City Montana. We've been on the road from Peterborough Ontario (2 hours east of Toronto) since Saturday and this is our 2nd day not riding in the rain. We had to detour twice with washed out roads in Michigan UP. I got hit by a bird riding into Fargo and based on the burst of feathers I think I made out better than he did. We went through the bad lands, prairies, Black Hills, Needles Highway, Mt. Rushmore and just came off the Beartooth Pass. Longest day so far was just over 650 miles. Yellowstone tomorrow. We should be in Athena for Friday afternoon through Sunday. Looking forward to meeting you folks and seeing some great bikes. I expect to be very sorry I ever let my Ace 100B go!
gearyoliver

Post by gearyoliver »

Sounds like a great trip!
We're leaving tomorrow. Should be to Pendleton KOA in the late evening.
See you soon!
Bullfrog
Location: Oregon, 12 miles from the center of the Hodaka Universe(Athena)

Post by Bullfrog »

6:45AM, Friday morning. Bad Rock Trail Ride day! The sun is shining, light breezes. 40 mile trail ride on the roads and trails near Athena/Weston today. Pretty hard to top that! :)
Keep the rubber side down!