Super Toad brake failure - graphic content

The main Page for the Hodaka Club Discussion Group
BrianZ

Super Toad brake failure - graphic content

Post by BrianZ »

Since Strictly Hodaka is in the midst of a forum change, I have posted this on both forums.

Last weekend I finally got my Super Toad project to the point where I can race it. It still needs some work, but it's now a racer so I entered it in the Ormstown Vintage Festival hare scramble. The little Toad was working really well until about 3/4 of the way through the event. I crossed a stream and climbed the bank on the other side. As I navigated over a few rocks suddenly the rear wheel locked up and the bike stalled. I restarted the bike and jabbed at the rear brake only to find that there was no resistance at all, but now the bike would at least move forward. With no rear brake I finished the event and proceeded to the pits. Looking at the rear wheel this is what confronted me:

Despite the brake problem I managed a respectable 4th place finish.

Now I have some work to do. :x

Brian
bchappy

Re: Super Toad brake failure - graphic content

Post by bchappy »

Never seen anything like that before. From the photo I can't figure out what failed first.
Bill Chapman, Monument, CO
Raced and Modified Hodakas in Statesville NC back in the day.
BrianZ

Re: Super Toad brake failure - graphic content

Post by BrianZ »

I suspect what happend was that the brake backing plate struck a rock at the point where it meets the brake stay (the lowest point), breaking the backing plate. The backing plate then rotated with the hub bending the actuating lever and tearing out the brake cam, then finally breaking the brake rod as it was bent around the axle.

I supect that the Toad backing plate is a little more fragile due to the inspection holes, making the damage more severe.